Chapter Fourteen, Part One - Blown Away

Chapter Fourteen

Blown Away

It was a cold night on a colder town, with a chill that could freeze your bones and ice your soul. Wrapped inside my winter coat, I shivered.

Lana and I had lost sight of the lights of Harbor Village less than a minute after entering Gentle Woods. It was fifteen minutes to midnight and the time for our meeting with The Society was finally upon us. And so was the darkness.

Twin beams of yellow light scanned the path around us as Lana picked a familiar trail through the dense canopy of trees. A thin covering of snow, twigs, and dead leaves crunched beneath our boots, and every so often a strong breeze would whip and shake the bare tree branches. Tightening my grip on the flashlight I held, I sighed, blowing out a puff of white air.

“So, what did you and Margot tell your dad? About the whole “Keurig” incident?”

“The truth,” I replied with another sigh, swinging my flashlight’s beam across the path ahead. “Or half of it at least – Margot burned her hand with coffee. Enough said – for him anyway. He assumed it was an accident.”

“Except it wasn’t,” said Lana, and I watched as she carefully drew up the collar of her coat, shivering herself.

“Margot says she can barely remember what happened. She has no idea why she stuck her hand underneath the Keurig. It doesn’t make any sense.” I frowned, also recalling the odd way that Margot had repeated herself just before the strange incident. “What would make her just up and do something like that?”

For a few seconds, Lana remained silent.

“A spell,” she said quietly. “A spell could make her do that.”

I stopped walking and Lana followed suit.

“You think someone put a spell on my sister?”

Lana nodded.

“It’s possible –why not? Think about the weird way she was acting when we found her. I mean she went full-on Lady Macbeth cray-cray. Could there be any other more plausible explanation?”

I thought for a moment.

“No, you’re right. The Fae no magic, one of them could’ve done this to her. I was poisoned and though I never confirmed that it was Titania or her Knight, I guess they could’ve targeted her too. Or else…”

“What?” Lana asked, stepping closer.

“I had this… really bad, strange conversation with my dad’s secretary in the viewing room today in which I’m pretty sure she threatened me and anyone else she knows I’m close to. And that happened right before Margie hurt herself. So… what if…”