Part Five

Nathan couldn't stop pacing. Oh, he had tried, but every time he stopped, forced himself to relax, a new worry about the evening would pop into his head and he'd be back to circling the room.

He had managed to stay cool in front of Haley. She had caught him a few times staring into space, but he had played it off like he was thinking about training camp, the NBA. If she only knew that in a few hours he was putting his heart on the line and asking her to be with him forever. That was enough to make any man nervous.

"Nathan, are you sure you're okay?" Haley's words had him freezing, realizing she had just caught him in mid-pace.

He turned slowly, taking in her damp curls and bathrobe, smiling slowly. "Of course I'm okay; just waiting for my turn in the bathroom." He moved forward, sliding his arms around her waist. "But I'm thinking I wouldn't mind joining you in there." Nathan leaned down to press a hot kiss to her lips.

Haley giggled beneath his wandering hands, "Well, why didn't you suggest that earlier?"

Nathan smirked, "If I had known you'd be so receptive to the idea while in a full house with your family, I definitely would have."

Haley straightened. "Oh my god, I totally forgot about them." She laughed loudly. "Now I'm glad you didn't."

"Yeah I thought that was the response I was going to get." Nathan sank down on the edge of the bed, pulling Haley in between his legs. "Have I told you today how beautiful you are?"

"You're so cheesy Nathan." She smiled broadly. "But I love that about you."

"I try and give my girlfriend a compliment and I get called cheesy. Well, we'll see how you like it when I never say anything nice."

"I'm not worried. You love me too much to stop saying nice things." Haley smirked, moving back towards the bathroom. "I'm almost done here and then you can have it."

"Okay." Nathan smiled, loving the one last grin she gave him before closing the door again. "God, I love that girl."

~*~

"I really wish you would just tell me where we're going." Haley turned to Nathan expectantly.

"Now why would I do a thing like that? It's much more fun to watch you squirm. I forgot how much you don't like secrets."

Haley grumbled, "Yeah well, I'm glad you find it so amusing."

Nathan slung his arm around her shoulders as the continued to walk the beachfront. "Oh, honey, I love you." He pressed a kiss to her temple.

"I'm just wondering where we're going if you told me to wear jeans." She stopped, gave him a glare. "You're not taking me to the circus are you?"

"What?"

"The circus. You know, creepy clowns," Haley shuddered, "smelly animals, peanuts littering the floor. A circus."

Nathan fought the laugh that bubbled in his throat. "Like I'd really take you to a circus. Even if you didn't hate clowns, I'd never take you to a circus. I thought you knew me better than that."

Haley sighed again, moving slowly beside him. "Yeah I know. I just don't like not knowing."

Nathan laughed, "I think you've made that abundantly clear. Don't worry, we're almost there."

Nathan steered them onto a smaller path that cut through a thatch of trees, the branches glancing softly against them as they walked. The path grew gradually wider and Haley's eyes widened at the clearing in front of her.