Chapter 6 (Mind-Body Connection)

Vanya had made the exit from Waterloo Underground Station into her home base, standing atop a metal crate with a holographic sign that said "Thronakkhar is God, the Almighty and our creator, it will return soon to our wretched sinful Earth to bring upon the end of days", and she spent her time preaching, just as she had been instructed.

She would occasionally find massive jet black feathers nearby, and they differed significantly from the small grey and white feathers that the average London street pigeon dropped when hiding from the sun in the underground. The hordes of millions that passed through the station daily paid her no mind and paid the feathers no mind, either. They did not notice the images of the crow god reflected in the windows around the station, either, but Vanya saw these easily. With each jagged, beaky smile she saw reflected, her blood would pump harder, and she would scream her preaching louder.

"The Crow God Thronakkhar, it sees all, hears all, is everywhere and nowhere, and those who convert will be saved on the day of Judgement!" Vanya shrieked over the sound of the crowds, but very few paid her any mind.

While the police had originally been instructed to deal with members of the cult of Thronakkhar, they realized it was a much better use of their time to let things be as they were, since no one really paid cultists any mind. Waterloo, like many other stations, had fewer people now, since most people worked from home, and those who did work in the city did not work there very long. And with the climate as it was, people generally avoided going outside if they could. Thus, Vanya's preaching mostly attracted tourists and others with too much time on their hands while they hid from the sun.

But Vanya had to keep going, she could not take too many breaks, because she knew that Thronakkhar was always there, watching, waiting, and ensuring her work was up to par, even if no one else was listening.

After several hours of standing on the crate, Vanya collapsed to her knees, wailing up at the reflection of Thronakkhar in the window and begging him to have a break. The method was madness, and she was beginning to think it was not designed to actually recruit but rather, for Thronakkhar to punish her for her cowardice.

I deserve this... Vanya thought, wiping her eyes. I made it angry with my uselessness...

She stood up from the ground and dusted her legs off before waddling over to the wall where bottles of water (made from biodegradable plastic which came from seaweed) stood for people to take. Taking a bottle, she poured the cool water into her mouth.

The water poured clear and cool, but the moment it touched her lips, it turned to a dry power that made her cough. She choked a bit on the black powder, tossing the bottle aside in horror. No one seemed to pay her any mind aside from a police officer, who began laughing to themselves as she struggled. Wiping her mouth with the back of her hand, Vanya saw the reflection in the glass behind the officer. The thousand-eyed crow had all of its eyes trained on her, its mouth opened as if it were also amused by her.

Sighing and swallowing the dry lump in her throat, Vanya knelt on the ground, prostrating herself on the floor and asking why her devotion had not pleased Thronakkhar. She had been doing what was asked of her, had she not?

If it has not been for Caoimhe, Vanya would still be happily and blissfully putting together puzzles, writing poetry, and even smelling flowers, but instead, she was in the underground performing a marionette's routine for the sadistic deity that did not care if she lived or died, so long as she gave the performance of devotion. She was completely and utterly parched, and all she could think of was how she regretted leaving the re-education facility. And it was all Caoimhe's fault.

How dare you ask me for mercy, after you have disgraced me so? After I have protected you? Do you know what will happen if I remove my protection? The voice of the crow god screamed in her head like an ambulance siren. Vanya clapped her hands over her ears.