Chapter 11 (The Seeds of Revolt)

The hall was full of soft murmurs and the thousands of clops from when each of Hrukhthar's hooves hit the floor. For some unusual reason, the world builders had been allotted their one millennium break, as a way to boost morale, they had been told. As Hrukhthar paced, it craned its disgusting head to hear a conversation between a creature resembling an elephant comprised entirely of dark branches, and one that appeared humanoid but with the head of a chameleon and bony spikes sticking out from its wrists like boomerangs. Thronakkhar looked on silently from the crowd.

"Dalenakhar said that..." the chameleon creature began, looking about to be sure they were not being listened to, "if you get killed in your world, you get released from your contract. I don't know how it works, but I suppose it is due to the expectation that as part of the project, you cause as much chaos as possible and destroy your planet in order to start anew at the end, until the end of eternity. But what is the use in that?"

Bristling, the elephant creature's branches vibrated. "Do not speak of this so loudly... That is simply the nature of our species, to create and destroy."

"Have you ever seen the Panel do that, though? And why is there such a competition, to see who can do the best? How is our success even measured?" another creature said as it approached, its long tongue slipping out from between its teeth with each word. It shook its long-haired coat as it stood on all four of its legs. "Is most of this not simply arbitrary, for the amusement of the Panel?"

Hrukhthar bubbled with rage, a volcano filled with magma that threatened to erupt with the slightest tectonic moment, sliding away like a continental plate while making an attempt to not show that it had heard anything. As it passed another group, it heard one of the world builders credit Thronakkhar, and Hrukhthar had to resist shouting at the lot of these stupid, gathered beasts. Thronakkhar watched Hrukhthar's reaction but remained where it had hidden.

"Your millennium-long break is over. Please return to your projects and continue your work," Hrukhthar growled, its voice seeming to seep into every surface like poison. "There shall be no more speaking or breaks until further notice."

"That didn't feel like a millennium at all... We're being duped..." one of the world builders muttered to one of its colleagues.

As the world builders returned to their stations, some others muttered to themselves about how unfair it was, and Hrukhthar instantly vaporized some of them to make an example of them. However, many were undeterred, continuing on with their complaints as they stood over their worlds for an uncountable amount of time.

"Lhaikhar, Vithkhar and Johorikhar, the Panel would like to speak with you now," Hrukhthar said to the elephant, chameleon and hairy four-legged beast, ushering them quickly into the Panel room.

After a few moments, soft snaps could be heard coming from the room, and after that, Hrukhthar opened the door to continue supervising. Lhaikhar, Vithkhar, and Johorikhar did not exit with it. Thronakkhar turned its focus to its project.

This time, the other Panel members joined Hrukhthar on the floor, moving down the rows of world builders to supervise and, as they alleged, to improve quality assurance while also getting more involved in the hands-on management of the world builders. They had grown very accustomed to simply going about and placing bets on who would be the most successful world builder. Hrukhthar had been far more involved in actively involving itself in projects, while also doing its best to sow the seeds of distrust between the world builders. Perhaps it was time to strategize more effectively.

"It will be such a shame to lose your talent, Thronakkhar," Hrukhthar said through several clicks as it slithered over. "I imagine many are envious of your talents, as well..."