Fifteen

FIFTEEN

――――――

"So —" Scott started, in a voice that told Gavin all he needed to know of Scott's intentions for the coming discussion, " — what's up with you and the analyst?"

Quinn had just left the room, quoting the need to call Adina. Locke had watched her leave, and it appeared Davidson's keen instincts had watched Locke watch the analyst leave. His friend was now leaning back in his chair, arms crossed behind his head.

"What do you mean?" Gavin fought the urge to roll his eyes, instead focusing a bitter look Scott's way, " — we're working together on a mission."

"You were real insistent she was the anti-christ when you went here. Now, we're eating dinner and you're all buddy-buddy." Scott shrugged, shoulders flexing, " — if I didn't know any better I'd say you've become ... friendly."

Locke bared his teeth, wondering if the Agency would miss one of their top agents if he shot his friend then and there.

"We're working together for the mission." Came the eventual reply, "For Kent's sake."

"Way better. A relationship, between an analyst and a special agent?" Scott scoffed. Gavin's hackles rose, shoulders tensing.

"You're one to talk. You've been chasing Sarraf for, what, half a year now? A relationship between two special agents is impossible."

Scott leaned forward again, elbows resting on the table.

"I don't think you've come any closer since you first started, either. I think you're further behind now than you were then." Gavin watched his friend's expression turn sour.

"Imani is like my personal ... golden snitch." Scott smiled lazily.

"Man, no wonder you're single if you think flirting is like bloody quidditch." Gavin shook his head, suppressing a chuckle.

"Yeah, yeah." Scott waved it off, " — we're closer now, after Berlin. She only punched me thrice, so I'd say it's an upgrade."

Gavin shook his head, "Why isn't she here, then?"

"She's had to re-route through London, attend a briefing with the Berlin-analysts."

"I think she's stopping by court to get a restraining order," mumbled Gavin. It earned him a dark look.

"To be honest, I don't think she'd take more time than needed. She wants to get on the Kent case." Scott's usually playful smile turned serious, " — she's real worried."

"We're working on it," replied Gavin, meeting the somber tone of his friend.

"How's it going so far?"

"O'Reilly's caught a trail. I'm not sure if we're following it yet."

"You're not sure? I thought you'd be the one calling the shots."

Gavin shook his head.

"I have to talk to O'Reilly first — get her take on what's the next step."

Scott stilled, eyes wide. Gavin scowled.

"What?"

"You just admitted to collaborating. Is there something bloody wrong with you?"

Gavin's scowl soured further, eyes turning dark.

"No. She's Kent's primary — she knows more about the .. the mission." Gavin cursed himself for the stumble, caught the glint in Scott's eye.