Chapter 4

Ieyasu sighed quietly as he stretched his back. He had worked deep into the night analyzing the properties of the different poisons. Most were in his database already so he was able to make remedies rather quickly and everything went smoother with his new equipment. "Last one" he said reaching for one wrapped in a cloth.

Unraveling he looked at the purple liquid coating the needle. "It's purple..." he held it up to the light. 'Why would it be purple if the intent is to kill? I think Mitsunari said this one was found in Nobunaga's floor. I don't exactly go in there everyday but I know for certain that his floor isn't purple. So why would the person that planted this want to make it noticeable?'

Watching Ieyasu inspect and take samples of the needle the shadow from within the ceiling vanished. "This doesn't make sense" Ieyasu tested the poison again. "What exactly is in this?" He looked down at the sample of pig skin that now had a hole from where the poison was placed. "It's like the poison completely deteriorated the skin" noting his findings Ieyasu got a sudden chill. Looking around he didn't see anyone just the shadow on his body. Shaking his head he went back to work.
-

Cradled in her arms Nobunaga slept with his head on her bare chest. Running her fingers through his soft hair she cherished every feeling. The way his silky hair felt, his warm breath on her chest, and the way he leaned into her touch. 'Sometimes I still wonder if it's okay for us to be so happy. I come from a clan of assassins who have killed thousands and you have had to kill for your ambitions. I don't know if what we do is wrong, but I don't care. I will protect our people, I will protect your dreams.' Leaning her head down she placed a soft kiss on his head.

"Mm" he began to stir his eyes opening slightly. "Did I fall asleep?" he looked up at Izanami. "Yeah, you must have been tired" she smiled softly running her hand over his cheek. "Yes, well I still find it difficult to sleep without you at my side" he said so plainly it was a wonder why he was so feared. "I won't leave again, so rest" she gave his lips a quick kiss before he put his head down again. She looked at the wall with a far off look.

"Married?!" Izanami yelled as she turned to her sister. "Yes father came to the agreement a few days ago" Amaterasu smiled sadly as she combed her fingers through her hair. "This can't be I will talk to father, I know he'll listen if we just-" "Enough Izanami" she sighed letting her hands fall. "Father is doing me the greatest kindness in even finding me a suitor. I am a disgrace to this family. A Yamanoi that can't even kill" she scoffed looking down at her hands. Remembering the crushing weight of her blades. "You are not a disgrace! You are a Yamanoi through and through, nothing will ever change that" Izanami held her hands and looked at her with that burning gaze. "Thank you my lovely Iza" she smiled tenderly as she brushed her bangs aside. "Who are you to marry?" rubbing her thumb over the back of her sisters hand she couldn't help but wonder what kind of man would take her sister. Amaterasu looked away a pained look crossing her face, "Nobunaga Oda" she whispered.

Closing her eyes slowly tears streamed down Izanami's face. Tightening her embrace she began to shake. Nobunaga looked up drowsily and began to rub her back and kiss her skin. Feeling his touch comforted her until she stopped shaking letting her silent tears remain unnoticed.
Falling asleep together they both had as peaceful a night as one could have in the Sengoku period.

"So you see my problem?" Ieyasu asked looking over at Hideyoshi. "Yes, I do. This doesn't make sense, who could have stolen the samples? Lady Izanami made sure to screen everyone in the castle" Hideyoshi furrowed his brows as he looked around Ieyasu's desk. "Did you see anybody come in?" he asked as he began to inspect the door.

"Geez What happened to your door!" Hideyoshi gasped as it began to fall. "Izanami happened.." he sighed remembering the sound of his door breaking. "Well I guess that gives us an entrance" Hideyoshi rubbed his neck as he looked at the door on the floor. "Yes but why would anyone take it?" Ieyasu asked reaching for his bag.

"Well they either wanted to keep you from finding a remedy or they knew someone would recognize it. You did say the poison was purple right?" Hideyoshi asked as he began to pick up the door. "Yeah I still have my notes on everything I discovered" he raised a notebook and opened it. "The main ingredient was wisteria, but that wasn't the only thing. When I tried it on the samples of pig skin it burned a hole right through. I wanted to save the rest for today so I could see what it would do to bone. I also wanted to see if I could replicate the effect with other plants so I could find the missing ingredient" he motioned to a basket full of poisonous herbs.

"I'll report this to Lord Nobunaga and Lady Izanami, maybe the spike in assassination attempts are related somehow" Hideyoshi got a run down on the information and went to report it. "It went missing?" Nobunaga looked at Hideyoshi with astonishment. "Didn't Ieyasu lock his door" Izanami grew angry. "He said you broke his door" Hideyoshi gave her a wry smile and she closed her mouth.

"Did Ieyasu learn anything before they were taken?" Nobunaga asked and Hideyoshi began to explain what Ieyasu has found. "I see tell Ieyasu to use the ingredients he already knows and try to find the missing one" Nobunaga sighed leaning into his arm rest. "Yes My Lord" he bowed and left. Nobunaga was rubbing the center of his forehead.

"Is something wrong, you haven't commented on what just happened" Nobunaga opened one eye to look at Izanami. "Sorry I just feel a little suffocated. I'm gonna go get some fresh air" she smiled and kissed Nobunaga. "Want me to come with you?" be called as she got up. "No it's fine I won't be long" giving him a reassuring smile she left. Her smile fading as soon as she closed the door.

The fire that had been ignited in the pit of her stomach roared to life. A crazed and saddened look over took her as she vanished into the shadows, 'What have you done Sakura?'