11

Sure enough, Matt started dating someone about two weeks later.

Her name was Leanne; she worked in his office, somewhere below Matt (below him in status, I mean, not literally).

I hadn’t met her yet, but Matt seemed to really like her, so I tried not to make any snap judgements from the things he told me about her.

David was in the midst of his divorce, which was starting to take its toll on him.

He rarely spoke to either Matt or myself about how the petitions were shaping up, but I got the feeling Karen was being very difficult. He looked tired all the time, and his teaching at school wasn’t quite as enthusiastic as it usually was.

Ava had come to the cinema several times with Dale and myself, and on the third time, Dale had brought his friend Roy along to keep Ava company.

We’d gone to the cinema on another date, had an evening picnic in the park, and gone ice-skating at the ice rink. Well… it was supposed to be ice-skating. Mostly, it was me sat on my backside on the ice, while Dale glided around looking like some sort of giant human-penguin.

We were having fun. A lot of fun.

And I was liking him more and more with each day that we spent together.

We sometimes spent lunchtimes together, but usually we stayed apart during school time; it gave us things to talk about during dates, and it make us feel like boyfriends, without us having to spend every moment with each other.

It was after our sixth date, however, that I really started to question how I felt about Dale. He’d casually hinted during the evening at taking things further.

So far, we’d kissed, and cuddled a little in the back row of the cinema seats, but that was all.

Like most teenage boys, I guess, Dale was getting impatient about taking things further.

I must admit, I had fantasised about sex with Dale, and started dreaming about it too.

But actually doing it…

I had always pictured my first time with David, as stupid as that sounds, given that we had never really… We never really did anything that should have given me that impression.

As David had so often reminded me, we’d done nothing but kiss.

I was busy packing for our holiday in Spain.

Matt had booked the three of us into a small hotel close to the sea, near Lloret de Mar.

Dale had gone away with his family to Scotland for a week, so I wasn’t feeling too guilty about leaving for two weeks.

I shoved my swimming trunks and my goggles into my suitcase, threw in a last pair of sandals and a book, before zipping it firmly closed.

I heaved it out of my room, along the corridor and down the stairs, and found David and Matt waiting in the kitchen, drinking coffee and waiting for me.

“Thanks for your help,” I grunted sourly, kicking my suitcase.

“You didn’t ask,” Matt said innocently.

David smirked at me, and carried my case out to the car for me.

“Are we ready to go?” He asked, coming back into the kitchen. “Everything’s in the car.”

“Yep.”

Matt drained his mug, washed it quickly, and herded us from the house.

He locked the front door and joined us in David’s Beetle.

“Let’s go.” He drummed his fingers on the dashboard impatiently.

David started the engine and we pulled down the driveway.