13

“Wake up, you two! Breakfast time.” Matt's voice woke me the next morning.

I groaned, rolled over in bed, and fell out with a thump onto the stone floor.

I groaned and rubbed my eyes.

“What-?” My question was cut off when I saw the sunlight pouring through the rooms, and David stirring on the other bed. “Oh… Spain.”

I shook David’s shoulder to speed his waking, and called to Matt that we’d be ready soon.

By the time I’d showered and dressed, David had managed to pull on a clean shirt and a pair of sandals.

We met Matt outside the room and went down to the main lobby of the hotel.

One of the cleaners showed us where the dining room was, and as soon as we entered the scent of bacon, eggs and sausages filled my nostrils.

A large buffet table was set to the back of the room for guest to help themselves from.

We wound through the occupied tables, filled our plates and settled at a table beside the window.

“So, what do we want to do today?” Matt asked as we ate.

“I’ll stick around the hotel. Go in the pool. I need to tan a bit.”

Matt rolled his eyes.

“I can look in some guide books, if you like, and find some places for us to go while we’re here.”

“I’m fine with that.” David nodded his agreement. “I’m knackered. I need to unwind a bit.”

Usually when we were on holiday, we ate large breakfasts, had an ice cream in the middle of the day, and then a large meal in the evening, so we each went up for second helpings of breakfast to get us through the day.

Afterwards, I went up to my room and changed into my swimming trunks, grabbed my big red beach towel and my book, and went down to the pool.

I picked a sun lounger set a little way away from the hotel that would be shaded by a tall palm tree in the afternoon after the sun moved around, and laid my towel out on it.

I debated whether to go in the pool now, or wait a while, get all warm and hot, and then jump into the cool water.

Finally, I decided to settle down a read for a while.

I was just getting nicely warmed up by the sun when Matt and David joined me on their own sun loungers.

David was wearing a pair of semi-tight swimming trunks that showed of a very nice… package.

I felt myself start to blush, and got up quickly.

“I’m going in the pool,” I mumbled, throwing my book down.

“Hang on,” Matt said firmly. “Sun cream.”

I whined, taking the bottle reluctantly.

“I hate that stuff.”

“You’ll hate skin cancer more,” Matt said.

“What about you?” I asked, rubbing sticky lotion onto my arms.

“I did it up in my room.”

“You can do me if you like though, Triss.” David smirked at me behind Matt's back.

I blushed again, before holding the bottle over his chest and squeezing it. A large white dollop of lotion splattered onto his chest.

He scowled at me, before rubbing the lotion into his skin.

I handed him the bottle and he carefully coated my back.

His warm, large hands caressed my skin carefully, and I swear he took longer than he should have done to rub it into me.

When he finished, I quickly rubbed lotion into his back as fast as I could, and left to go in the pool.

I jumped in and submerged myself for a moment, before letting myself float on my back.

I spent an hour or so floating around in the pool, before I clambered out and returned to my sun lounger.

I re-opened my book, spent another hour reading, before diving back into the pool.

I passed the day like that, relaxing and swimming in turn.

At lunchtime, David went and fetched us an ice cream each.

Matt had gone for a walk half an hour before, and he said he’d be back by dinnertime.

David handed me a ninety-nine ice cream with a flake. He flopped back onto his sun lounger and licked his own ice cream.

I watched him for the corner of my eye.

His long, pink tongue carefully scooped the drips of ice cream from the cone.

I noticed one drip land on David’s sculpted chest, and bit back a moan.

“Triss.”

“Yeah?”

“You’re staring again.”

I blushed and looked away.

“Sorry,” I mumbled.

I head David shuffle his lounger closer to mine, and when I looked back, he was only a few inches away from me.

“What’s the matter?” He asked. “I thought you liked Dale? But what you were saying last night, and… What’s wrong?”

“I do like Dale,” I muttered. “But I like you too.” I sighed. “And I don’t know who I like more.”

I rubbed my eyes and licked my ice cream slowly.

“You’re my brother’s best friend. You should be off limits. Which I guess is part of what makes you so… appealing. But Dale’s my age, and he’s really nice, and he’s funny and…”

I swallowed the last of my ice cream and stood up.

“I’m going swimming.”

I had jumped in the pool before David could reply.

I swam a few lengths, and gradually felt myself calming down a bit. I was in the middle of the pool when I felt someone grip my ankle and yank me under the water. I kicked and squirmed to get free, swallowing a mouthful of water in the process, and emerged spluttering and coughing.

David grinned impishly at me, and sent a wave of water splashing over my head.

“Bastard,” I grunted, sending a wave back at him.

David grinned and wiped water from his eyes.

“Got ya!” He laughed.

We spent a long time messing around in the pool, racing and splashing, before I called my surrender and headed for the sun loungers.

David flopped onto the lounger beside mine and looked at his watch.

“Do you want another ice cream?”

I shook my head.

“Matt will be back soon, and we can get dinner.”

David nodded.

I took out one of the travel books we’d brought with us, and David and I sat reading through it, looking for places for us to go while we were here.

By the time Matt returned, we’d picked out eight places to go to, which would leave us plenty of time to stay at the hotel and relax in the pool, while giving us enough to do that we wouldn’t get bored.

I’d never really spent time with David away from Matt, and I was finding him to be very good company.

It wasn’t awkward, talking and laughing with him, arguing playfully about places to go.

But by the end of the day, I was feeling more confused than ever.