15

Four months later, I had finished all of my exams, and was waiting impatiently for the results.

After badgering David for hours, he had finally agreed to talk over my history exam answers with me and, from what he had said, I was pretty certain I’d get an ‘A’.

I wasn’t too sure about my chemistry exam, but I felt alright about my geography and biology ones; I’d gotten a very high mark in my biology coursework, so even if I did badly in my exam, I would come out with a ‘B’.

Matt was still dating Leanne, more seriously now, and on the night that David and I were supposed to meet her for the first time, David came home looking happier than he had in months.

“You are now looking-” he said dramatically, dropping his satchel on the floor and twirling happily. “-at a divorced man.”

“Really?” I closed the oven and grinned at him. “Congratulations. I think.”

Definitely.”

David laughed and grabbed a beer from the fridge.

“She got the house, I got the stocks and shares, we split the bank accounts, and I don’t have to pay spousal support. Her dad got fed up with her trying to wear me down into some spousal payment agreement, he gave her two million pounds if she’d just sign the papers.”

I laughed.

“And she took it?”

“Some people just care about the money,” David said solemnly, before bursting out laughing again. “What’s for dinner?”

“Roast chicken. Leanne’s coming for dinner, remember.”

“Oh, yeah. How long’s Matt been with her?”

“Just over four months.”

“He’s getting serious, then?” David asked.

I shrugged. “I guess,” I muttered uncomfortably. “If they get married, can I come and live with you?”

David grinned.

“As soon as I find a place I like.” David patted my shoulder, and eyed the chicken in the oven hopefully. “When are they due home?”

“Six thirty.”

David moaned sadly.

“I’m hungry.”

“Have some toast,” I told him firmly, slapping his hand away from the fridge. “Don’t fill yourself up.”

He scowled at me.

“I’m divorced and happy. You’re not supposed to ruin my mood.”

“You’ll be in an even better mood once you’ve eaten my herd-basted chicken. Can you get plates and things out, please?”

David took four plates from the cupboard and neatly laid out cutlery either side of the placemats.

I checked the chicken and the roast potatoes again, before putting the carrots, broccoli and parsnips in to cook.

“So, nervous?” David asked me, sliding into his usual seat.

“Why would I be?”

“Well, this is the first time Matt's brought a girl home for you to meet. He must like her a lot.”

“I guess…” I frowned at him, feeling nervous for the first time. “So, where are you looking at places to live? Nearby?”

“Yeah. There are three on the market about five minutes from here, but none of them are right. They’re either too big or too small.”

“You could just stay here,” I told him. “Matt likes having you around. He gets home earlier, and he smiles more when you’re here.”

“Hm…” David said thoughtfully. “Perhaps he’s in love with me too.”

He smirked wickedly at me.

“I’m not in love with you,” I stuttered, blushing.

David grinned at me.

I heard Matt's car pull onto our gravel driveway and tapped David’s shoulder.

“Go and get the door.” I commanded firmly.

“Yessir.”

David mock saluted and left the kitchen while I slid the chicken and vegetables from the oven.

I put the vegetables into our nicest serving dishes and slid the chicken onto a plate for Matt to carve.

David came back into the kitchen, rolling his eyes.

“What?” I hissed in a low voice. “Is she ugly?”

“No. Just… dissatisfied.” He murmured.

The kitchen door opened and Matt came inside, followed by a tall, slim woman with a pretty face. Her looks were spoilt by the petulant droop of her mouth.

I shot David a look, before plastering a smile on my face.