36

I looked fondly down at the golden wedding band sitting on my finger.

David’s arms were wrapped tightly around me, directing my movements as we swayed slowly to the music.

I was no longer aware of anyone watching me, even though everyone was; it was our first dance, of course people were watching.

David was humming quietly to the music in my ear.

I drew back and kissed his lips lightly before burying my face in his chest.

“You okay, Spud?” He asked quietly.

A few other couples were starting to join us on the dance floor.

“Yeah,” I murmured.

He kissed the top of my head.

“Nice ceremony. The cake looks great too.”

I laughed softly.

“Is that all you think about? Food?”

“Nah. Sex as well. You should know this by now.”

“I don’t think I’ve learnt that lesson quite well enough,” I said thoughtfully. “I think you need to teach me.” I dropped my voice to a husky whisper.

“Is that a challenge, Spud?” David muttered.

“Might be… After all, we are about to have a honeymoon. Days of sandy beaches, tropical sun, cocktails… Sounds like the perfect place for me to learn more about…” I nipped his earlobe gently. “Sex.”

We swayed gently on the spot for another moment or two, before David groaned, his voice close to my ear.

“You’re a tease, Triss.” He whispered.

His hips brushed lightly against my own, and felt his arousal against my hip.

I chuckled.

“I’ll make up for it. I promise.”

“Hm…”

David flicked my ear affectionately.

“Someone wants to talk to you.” He motioned behind me.

I twisted in his arms and saw Matt winding his way through the couples to talk to us.

“Mind if I cut in?” He asked.

“Not at all.” David pecked my cheek, before hugging Matt and leaving us alone.

Matt wrapped his arms around me and hugged me close.

“Are you alright?” I asked him.

“Yeah… I’m just happy.” He drew back and kissed my forehead. “I have to tell you something.”

“What?”

“I know you married him quickly because… because you’re afraid I won’t be here to see it, otherwise.”

“I love him, Matt.” I protested.

“I know you do. I know. But I also know that I’m the only family you’ve got left. I know you wanted me here for this day. And I’m happy I was able to be here for you.”

“Did you… did you not want me to marry him?” I asked quietly.

“Not at all. I know you love him. I just… I heard from my doctor yesterday. I didn’t want the tell you until after you were married.”

“Tell me what?” I asked in a shaky voice. “Matt, is the cancer…?”

“Gone,” Matt told me, smiling. “Completely gone.”