Chapter 2

“Your Annabelle and Stephanie, right?” His name was Timothy, but Tim for short.

“Yes, that’s us.” Looking him up and down I make note of what he is wearing. Tim was very tall and buff – he was on the football team every year since elementary school. His light brown hair wasn’t long and was shaken up to look like he just woke up. He wore ‘labels’ that were beyond expensive and his cologne was slightly noticeable. His shirt wasn’t tucked in but he still looked like the Greek god you see in the movies. His piercing green eyes could put you into a trance.

“You girls look different; you don’t even look like high schoolers anymore.”His face almost childlike as if he was going to get in trouble by mentioning our new look.

“That’s what we were aiming for, well we better get going. See ya!” walking away from the most awkward moment we have ever encountered Steph is less tense the farther we walk away from Tim.

As we walked, people kept looking and whispering as if we didn’t notice it one bit. I wonder what he wanted, I know for damn sure he had a reason for coming up to us and talking. Tim isn’t the guy to just talk to a girl without wanting something. Last time he talked to me was in 8th grade, he talked to me in the hall ways for a week before asking me if I wanted to go to the movies with him. I was nervous but very excited; his older brother picked me up and took us to see the movie. When we got there he picked the movie, paid for everything and acted as if it were a real date. As the movie ended he looked at his phone and realized the time and told me he had a project that was due the next day that he hadn’t started on. When he dropped me off, he lightly kissed my lips. I remember it like it was yesterday before all the ‘labels’ and cologne. He was sweet to me, which is why I let him kiss me. My first kiss was with Timothy Brodsky.

Now Tim used to be a sweet guy, until the next day at school when his ‘project’ wasn’t for an actual class. It was a bet with his buddies because a little birdie told me about it all. How he took me to the movie theater and got into my pants. Saying he got to do all these things but no sex. I couldn’t believe him; I couldn’t believe anyone who told me what the fake story was. Before I could even stand up for myself I was being told I was a slut, and how gross and ugly I was. That was the first ripple in my life; the first ripple that would lead me to want to end my life not only for my sake but for others who don’t stand up for themselves.

“Anna, are you okay?” snapping out of my thought of that stupid rumor, looking at Steph and looks concerned; because she remembers that rumor as well.

“Oh, yeah! I am great!” Walking towards our lockers we made sure to request lockers next to each other. We both switch locker codes in case one of us is sick so we can bring each other’s books and homework.

“I’ll meet you at the water fountain for lunch.” As she skips off to her homeroom I am still thinking. Goodness, I should probably stop staring into my locker before I am late.

I hear the warning bell that snaps me out of my daze. Grabbing my books I wonder off to my homeroom. Even though I could notice people looking and hear whispers I was still thinking of all the ripples in my life. Writing down notes for homework I heard the chair beside me make that awful sound as it screeched the tile floor. Ignoring it, I went right back to writing notes. Math was always a strong subject of mine, thankfully. I was only writing notes to occupy myself from all the gossip going around. All of a sudden a wade of paper hit my hand and sat in front of me sitting on my notebook. Glancing around to see who had thrown it I see Gracie Williams glance up at me with a sly grin on her face. Turning back around confused as hell, I set my pencil down and open the note. Pressing hard onto the paper to get all the wrinkles out so I can read what Gracie wrote.