Chapter 3

“Tim did what?” Stephanie’s mouth is still open wide, probably just shock but it was pretty funny.

“Asked me to homecoming, but it’s not a big deal Steph. So shut your mouth before a bug crawls in.” Laughing hysterically, she shuts her mouth and pulls into a 7-11.

“Blue or red?” always the same question since freshman year of high school.

“Red this time, please.” She jumps out of the car and heads inside. We always go to 7-11 for slurpees after school. It was a tradition we would never let die, ever since freshman year we’ve done it.

Waiting on Stephanie to come back I was thinking of why Tim would even ask me to the homecoming dance. I mean it isn’t like he knows me like Stephanie does but there had to be some reason to it. I wasn’t the most popular girl now was I? I shook the question off my mind as the door opened and Stephanie handed me the slurpees before getting into the seat. I wondered what was going through Steph’s mind. She is shocked but not sure how she really feels about it. Pulling into my drive way she waits for me to go inside to grab my letters from the colleges, it was time to see the verdict. Stopping at the corner store for some junk food and sodas for later tonight then pull out and head to her house a few blocks away.

“Are you mad?” I was still looking at the window; I didn’t want her to see my expression when I talked to her.

“What about Anna? Tim asked you to homecoming it’s not a big deal.” I could tell she didn’t care just by what she just said.

“Yeah…” she cuts me off before I could explain.

“Anna, you deserve it. I know what’s happened in the past but we’ve all grown up since then. Plus we looked amazingly good today so it doesn’t surprise me if you’d become the most popular girl in school.” She has a sincere smile on her face, maybe I was over thinking it too much.

“Well, you’re the next popular as well, how many guys smacked your ass again?” teasing her, and it worked; her face has a perfect shade of red from her cheeks then flooding into her whole face.

“Not funny Anna.” It was a priceless moment though; I snickered as she regained full control of her colored cheeks. She gave in too, a smile spread across her face.

Pulling into her drive way we grab our snacks, drinks, slurpees, book bags and purses. Walking into her house it was like second nature to me. Throwing down our bags by the door, throwing our bagged snacks and drinks onto the island in the kitchen, running upstairs while throwing our shoes next to her closet, purses thrown to the side of the room and our book bags hitting the bed with a loud thump. Jumping onto the bed ourselves pulling out our letters from the colleges; we sort them out by college and go one by one with opening them. She opens mine while I open hers.

“First one is Brown University.” Starting at the letter in her hand her face was flushed but I knew she would get in. Her GPA was amazing plus she was in so many thinks from yearbook, student news paper, even the debate club which went to state championships. I look at her and nod, paper ribbing from beneath my index finger.

“In!” I said with a smile on my face.

“In!” She said with a huge smile on her face.

Cornell University was next and we both got in. Then we opened our letters to Johns Hopkins University, both in. Dartmouth, in; Notre Dame, in; Vanderbilt, in; Georgetown, in; NYC, in; Duke, in; Stanford, in; Columbia, in; Yale, in; Princeton, in; Harvard, in; and then the biggest one we wanted. UCLA…