Chapter 3: Hogwarts bound

Harry woke up the next day, ecstatic. Finally he would be amongst his own, he would learn magic and, for at least a while, wouldn't have to worry about Muggles. Though Harry knew it would be difficult, nay impossible, to make friends mute, he still couldn't quite smother the flickering flames of hope that someone living would try to understand him. Even his teachers at school ignored him when he'd stopped talking. Being clever didn't make him liked. Dudley was proof to that. He thought back to Draco, and his strange acceptance of Harry's muteness. Perhaps impossible wasn't quite right. Jumping out of bed (the Dursleys had finally moved him out of that Merlin awful cupboard!) he got dressed and walked downstairs to prepare their breakfast. Not his. No, he'd be forced to buy some before he boarded the train. He still had his money from Gringotts, a simple notice me not charm had hidden that from the Dursleys. He was sure their hatred of wizards did not extend to their money.  Ten minutes later, the breakfast was plated up, and the three Dursleys lumbered down the stairs. The atmosphere was so tense that not even a diffindo could have cut through it, and Harry knew why. Uncle, I'll be going to the school today, I'm sure you'll be ecstatic to know that I don't plan on returning. However, I do require you to drive me to the station. I've never been there before. Vernon grunted at the paper before looking back so fast he must have caught whiplash. "You aren't coming back?' No. Vernon didn't even bother to read Harry's reply, simply turning to Petunia yelling, "Pet! The freaks leaving forever!" She didn't even blink, she'd already read the note and was strangely calm about the whole thing. "That's wonderful dear, eat your breakfast."

Now, any of you who know of Harry's relationship with the Dursleys would be rightfully confused at her reaction. Petunia despised he freaky nephew more than her freaky sister. However, she also knew that the old wizard that had brought the boy here, would never allow the boy to leave. Let the freak stay disillusioned. He'd be back, serving the normal respectful people as he should.

Harry had heard Petunias thoughts, legilimency was a wonderful thing, and was furious at the thoughts. He'd read about Dumbledore, and couldn't believe that the so called hero everyone revered had done this. Abandoned a child in the cold with filthy Muggles, without even checking on him! Harry had been quite dubious of the infallible Dumbledore's reputation, but now. Now he despised the man. His headmaster would be someone to keep an eye on, that's for sure.

Little did Harry know, Dumbledore was thinking the same thing about him.

Dumbledore leaned back in his chair, his office extravagantly decorated as usual. This year would be interesting to say the least. Harry Potter was coming to Hogwarts. He thought back to the first time he'd seen the boy, when Lily had brought him to an order meeting. The child was so young and fragile, so trusting, to all the wrong people. The child had seemed fascinated with the grumpy elf, Kreacher, but refused to go anywhere near the Headmaster. The boy needed guidance, something Albus was more than happy to provide. Whilst he truly regretted the unfortunate treatment the boy received from his relatives, family was family and their hero couldn't be cocky or rude. A malleable child that did as he was told would serve the magical world much better. Soon the boy would meet Albus, and the Headmaster could ensure that young Harry knew his role. He had it on good authority that the new Defence teacher had darker affiliations then he was letting on. The wards had alerted him to dark magic surrounding the professor, it would be good practice for the boy to fight Voldemort. He'd known the stone would be irresistible to a dark wizard. Now to ensure the teachers knew what to do...

Harry could barely keep still in the backseat of his uncles car. Not that anyone watching could tell. He knew his excitement would not be well received by his uncle. The man himself however, was quite openly displaying his smile, clearly glad to be rid of his nephew. Harry wasn't sure where he was going to stay, but the goblin had informed him that the Potter's had many properties. He would stay at one of those. He would look into that as well as his own, personal, project. There must be a spell that relocate a ghost. As if he'd leave his Elder behind. Harry was pulled out of his thoughts by a sudden harsh stop of the car. "We're here boy, get out." Harrison didn't deign him any kind of response, jumping out the car and turning to close the door. Instantly his uncle sped off, and Harry was glad he had his trunk safely stowed shrunk in his pocket. Turning around he walked into the station, confused when everything looked very.... muggle. The ticket said platform nine and three quarters, but logically he knew that wasn't a place. Perhaps a magically hidden entrance, between nine and ten? A wriggle by his collar reminded him of his new companion. Shesha hissed out her complaint of the noisy area, demanding Harry put her somewhere warmer. "I can put you in my trunk for now, with a warming charm. It's probably better that way, from what I've read, wizards aren't too fond of snakes." His girl hissed grumpily, but acquiesced and settled in between his shirts. It was good timing as well, as Harry looked up to find a rather peculiar family approaching him. "Now, remember what platform we are on everyone? Be careful, can't let the muggles see." Harry was instantly on alert, what idiotic witch thought it was a good idea to say things like that out loud? And what we're an obviously magical family on the muggle side of the station anyway? Harry frowned and settled back, at least this way he'd know how to find his way through. The large family stopped, and looked around as if searching for someone. He wasn't sure why, but Harrison was suddenly glad for the notice me not charm he'd applied before entering. A small child completely on their own would catch notice. The large ginger woman looked annoyed, but a glance at the clock forced her to send in her kids. Harry himself began to worry about missing the train. Shocked, he watched the identical ginger boys run stright through the wall. Could the muggles not see them? He looked around, reassured that they couldn't, before slipping after the youngest child. What stood before him was amazing!

A scarlet steam train was waiting next to a platform packed with people. A sign overhead said Hogwarts Express, 11 o clock. Harry looked behind him and saw a wrought-iron archway where the ticket box had been, with the words platform nine and three quarters on it. He had done it. Smoke from the engine drifted over the heads of the chattering crowd, while cats of every colour wound here and their between their legs. Owls hooted to each other in a disgruntled sort of way over the babble and the scraping of heavy trunks.

Harry had never seen a bigger crowd in his entire life, and he was not comfortable with this at all. He rushed into the train to avoid the crowd, the chatter and certain uncomfortably watchful redheads. Most of the carriages had been filled already, so he wondered down to the end of the train, noticing a specific change in uniform. Red, then yellow, then blue, and finally green. The houses grouped together then? This was confirmed when a certain blonde peaked his head out of the nearest carriage door. "I thought that was you! Come in, I'll introduce you to my friends." Harry walked in and saw six others in there. Instantly his throat went dry, this was a lot of living people. More than he was used to. Even in Muggle school, he'd kept to himself in the corner. Oh well. "This is Blaise, Daphne, Pansy, Theo, Crabbe and Goyle. They will all be in Slytherin as well, I'm sure, so you'll know lots of people don't worry. I've told them all about you, of course." The girl with the pug face and short brown bob laughed, as did the icy blonde next to her. Pansy and Daphne. " You could say that. He hasn't stopped talking about you since we got on the train. Didn't mention your name though." Draco glared, the effect reduced by the pout and bright red face. Harry smiled, despite himself, the vain blonde boy was amusing to say the least. I'm Harry he wrote on the scrap of paper he'd kept handy. I assume then, that Draco's mentioned I don't talk. It's nice to know I've made such an impression despite that.  Draco turned even more red at the words as everyone laughed. "You're alright Harry. I haven't seen Draco blush like that ever." The quiet seeming boy spoke up, Theo. Harry smiled and nodded at him, taking a seat between Blaise and Theo, across from Draco. He looked up at the bulky giants, Crabbe and Goyle, sat either side of the blonde. "Oh don't mind them Harry, they don't really talk much. They aren't mute, they just.....don't have much to say," Daphne chipped in. The others nodded and looked out the window as the train pulled away from the station. He could see families waving at their children, tears in their eyes, and was prepared for the slight bitterness he felt at the sight. Not because his parents were gone, no, he'd accepted that a long time ago. It was more at the fact that he'd been dumped with hateful muggles. Dumbledore's doing. He was really starting to hate that man. "So Harry, who are you exactly. You don't seem to be Muggleborn, you aren't dressed like one at least," Blaise asked. He was wondering when that question would come up. Best to answer honestly, he'd found, or it could cause problems later. Although bending the truth, it wasn't really lying. Unfortunately I was raised by Muggles after my parents died. I made sure to educate myself of course, I won't let that stop me. It's not like I plan on going back anyway.  His final words seemed to reassure his new schoolmates, whom had looked disgusted at the thought of living with Muggles. "Oh you poor thing! No wonder your mute if you were raised by nasty vermin! Don't worry Harry, we'll make sure you understand how the pureblood world works. I'm assuming you're a Half-blood, but any Slytherin is a Pureblood by right. We'll have to wait and see which house you get in." Harry was a little annoyed by Pansy's condescending attitude, but understood her view. He wasn't exactly fond of Muggles either, but had nothing against Muggleborns. You can't choose your family. I think as long as Muggleborns choose magic over muggles, we can't blame them for their blood. Magic is magic. The children around him looked puzzled at that, and whilst Draco and Pansy seemed reluctant to accept it, the others slowly nodded and moved on to the subject of sorting. Yes. These freinds would do nicely.