Chapter 7: Silence

Harry woke with a start, seeing a pale figure hover over his bed. He smiled slightly, checking that his roommates were still asleep before asking, "Can I help you?" The ghost stared for a second before 'sitting' at the edge of the four poster. "Hello, little necromancer. I haven't met one of your kind for a very long time." Harry smiled slightly, and nodded. "I am one of the last natural born necromancers. It's rare to meet one nowadays." She smiled also, a sad smile that made Harry wonder how she had died. There was a soft mournful look in her eyes, as if she'd lost something. "You should be careful, little one. Most people here would not appreciate your power or your presence. Already you are causing waves." Harry frowned at that, he'd been masking his aura, how could anyone know. On that matter, how did this ghost know!? Oh he was always to dopey in the mornings! "What do you mean?" She sighed, looking out of the door. "The other ghosts have noticed you. You are silent with your own kind, but seemed so very gentle when looking at us. Many watch us with fear, or avoid our gaze. You looked at us with understanding. We wondered, but couldn't be sure." He nodded, understanding now. Those ignored often saw more than anyone living would be comfortable with. Harry himself understood much from being neglected and silenced. "So, the others are aware of me. And interesting development, I'll be sure to be careful. Thank you miss....?" The ghost smiled slightly, and giggled. "Very polite. Miss Ravenclaw. But you can call me Helena, Harry." She waved, and floated through one of the walls, and Harry looked on bewildered. At least he was awake now. He checked the time with a simple Tempus charm, and nodded. He was early. Standing, he went to the bathroom, catching a shower before the others awoke. He didn't want anyone to see the scars on his back, or more specifically the tattooed runes of necromancy. It would make for some very awkward questions. Finishing up, he wandlessly dried his hair, and dressed, before checking the time again. He was still up an hour earlier than needed. He saw a muggle late alarm by Kevin, and decided that they wouldn't be too late, so he left a note for Terry and went down stairs, hoping to find the great hall again for breakfast. Hi, gone to find food, couldn't sleep. I'll meet you in the great hall? Down in the common room, he saw that some Ravens were already awake and studying. He waved, and a few waved back, some even looking up and smiling. One girl, the Head girl from yesterday walked over as he opened the door. "Hi Harry. I'm Angelica Cole, head girl of our house. I just thought I'd introduce myself." Harry smiled back and waited, it was obvious that she wanted to say something else. "Right, yes, so I've heard about your muteness, if there is anything we can do to help, or if someone is bullying you for it, you can come to any of the prefects, me or Professor Flitwick. As it is, it might be good for him to know anyway, as it may make your classes slightly more difficult." Harry nodded thoughtfully. He couldn't write notes all the time, and as for performing spells, there was no way of getting around the fact he would need to use non-verbal magic, which for most was notoriously difficult. "Well, if you'd like, I can walk you through the castle, showing you where the classrooms are, and take to see the professor, and explain the situation? Then you can get breakfast with everyone else." Harry nodded and smiled. Thank you, I really appreciate the help. He wrote. "No problem Harry." Together they walked through the corridors of Hogwarts, with Angelica occasionally pointing out certain paintings and classrooms. "As you can see, most of the students that are awake are Slytherins and fellow Ravenclaws. We are generally up first, the Gryffindors like to sleep in, and the Hufflepuffs usually go to the kitchens early or try to help others get ready. You'll hear a lot of people saying things against Hufflepuff, but don't pay any attention to that. They're are determined people, and loyal friends if they deem you worth that loyalty." Harry nodded, glad that someone could tell him so much about the place that he would call home for the next seven years. Finally, they reached the Charms classroom, and walked through to the unusually small door, behind the teachers desk. She knocked, and at a squeaked "Enter," ducked through. Harry gazed around the office, noticing a pattern of blue and bronze throughout the small chamber. Sitting at yet another desk, was the Professor. "Ah, Angelica, lovely to see you as always. How can I help you?" She moved to the side, and Harry stepped forwards to the desk. "Ah! Mr.Potter, what a lovely visit. I am so very glad you're in my house. How are you settling in to Ravenclaw?" Harry just smiled and looked at Angelica.