Chapter 17: A parting of ways

Harry walked down the abandoned corridor to Quirrels office, the mood somber. They'd been excited to find the stone, but they both knew what it meant. He had to leave. The second the teachers realised the stone was gone they'd be searching. He had to leave. "You never said what you wanted." He was drawn from his thoughts by Marvolo as they entered Quirrels office. He frowned, confused. "You got the stone for me, what do you want in return." Harry was surprised, but he'd completely forgotten. What did he want? He didn't have to think long before it hit him, and he looked up at the Dark Lord, grinning. "I want you to visit me. Don't go disappearing on me now, Your Royal Darkness." Quirrel's face grinned down at him, nodding so vigorously he worried that the turban would fall off. "That I can certainly do. He smiled, returning the mans cloaking to him and stroking the head of a sleeping Shesha. He stifled a yawn that threatened to escape, wanting to stay and say goodbye. "Are you going to take off that ridiculous turban now?" Voldemort ignored him for a second, waving his wand and placing all of Quirrels things in a suitcase. "No, I'd rather this face not be your view of me. The first time you see me will be my own face." Harry could feel his excitement at that rolling off him in waves, and it was good to see. "Okay then. I'm sure your face is much better than Quirrels as well. I mean... I wasn't.... I was just saying that you.... I meant." Thankfully Marvolo cut him off before Harry could embarrass himself further, a blush covering his face. The man laughed, grabbing  his suitcase and turning to the red-faced child. "Thank you Harry. For everything.I'll see you soon." Before Harry could even say goodbye, Quirrel stepped through the floo, disappearing into the night, and leaving Harry alone in the dark and empty office.

No. No no no NO! This couldn't be happening! He'd woken that morning to a trembling house elf claiming that he, the Great Albus Dumbledore, has been summoned immediately by Minerva. Annoyed, he'd rushed downstairs and into his office to see the Head of Gryffindor in an anxious state. Hair down and still dressed in her nightgown, she hurriedly told him that Severus had informed her of terrible news just moments earlier. Someone had killed the Cerberus. She hadn't needed to say anymore, and they immediately rushed through the castle to the third corridor. Before him lay a very still and quiet three headed dog, Hagrid hunched over and sobbing uncontrollably. "-a lovable creature, ol' Fluffy would never, ya hear? Never deserved..." He ignored the distraught half-giant, instead rushing through the trapdoor and down past the other defenses. He was shocked to see the chessboard obliterated, but that had nothing on the utter dread he felt when he realised the stone was gone. That had been only last night, but he'd already had a Howler from Nicholas. The sorcerer was as furious as Dumbledore. This wasn't how it was supposed to go! The blasted Potter boy had ruined everything, this wasn't how it was supposed to go! The boy was supposed to be a broken, heroic saviour, not a silent selfish Ravenclaw! The plan was so clear, so simple. Granger and Ronald were to convince the boy to investigate, and Harry would realise his true potential by defeating Voldemort. This would not work. No, not at all. And idea occured to him and he say back in his chair, a wicked smile on his face. He still had Christmas. And the cloak. Yes, this could work.

Harry woke the next day with a sleeping snake on his chest, and he smiled softly, relenting on getting up as early as usual. He would let his girl sleep in a little longer. He thought back on the night before, the events that had occured. Quirrel, and more importantly Voldemort, was gone. Surely it was strange how dissapointed he felt at that. Harry had found a kindred spirit in the wizard and connection he'd felt with no living before. He didn't quite understand it, but didn't quite mind either. A noise to his left woke him and he saw that the other boys were beginning to wake up. Reluctantly he picked up Shesha, who immediately began to complain and placed her on the heated rock on his desk. "Always with the waking. You dare disturb my slumber. I will bite you..." He smiled at her comments before dressing and waiting for Terry to do the same. "Are you ready Harry?" He nodded and the pair walked down to the common room. "Good morning boys!" The sunny greeting from Lisa came from behind a large book, something that surprised him. There was no doubt Lisa was a Ravenclaw, as she was constantly sharing the strangest, most obscure facts he'd never needed to know, but she was rarely seen actually reading. "Anything interesting?"  Load was so absorbed by the book that she didn't look up, meaning she didn't see his words. Terry quirked an eyebrow before elbowing her. "Ow!" She looked up and frowned at the flaming letters. "Oh sorry Harry, I was reading. Daphne gave it to me, it's a book on Pureblood etiquette. I was worrying about meeting Draco's parents."
He understood that, he himself had been spending a few hours over the last week with Marvolo, learning what he could. Terry looked up from the book with a confused look on his face. "I thought you were a Pureblood?" She nodded, finally putting the book away as they walked out of the common room and towards the Great Hall. "Yeah, but my parents aren't exactly traditional. They're really relaxed actually, as long as I'm polite and try hard!" They arrived in the Hall, sitting with the Snakes that had taken up residence at the end of the Ravenclaw table. "Morning!" The greeting was echoed and Harry nodded briefly, instead looking up at the empty spot at the teachers table, Quirrel. They were hiding it, though rather poorly, the teachers looking clearly concerned, excluding Snape who was blank as always. "Oh yeah, did you hear? Quirrel's gone. There are so many rumours going around that no one has even the vaguest idea what's going on!" Harry went to redirect their curiosity when McGonagall stood, raising her hands until the students hushed, silence filling the room. "As I'm sure you're all aware, Professor Quirrel has unfortunately left us, due to family issues. As it was on such short notice, the remainder of your Defense against the Dark Arts lessons will involve personal study. For those students preparing for exams on your return after Christmas, you can speak to your Head of House's for extra support." She sat down again and the hall burst into chatter. The noise washed around him as he leant back. So that's what they were saying? He gathered his books, ready to go to class when a note materialised on his plate. Suspicion filled him, and he gently probed the paper with his magic. A slight compulsion spell has been weaved into it, but nothing he couldn't easily break.  Opening the letter, and resisting the wave of magic that washed over him, he read the message. 'Harry, please come to my office immediate, there is something I wish to discuss with you.' He rolled his eyes, thoughts flowing through a scathing mind. Of course he wanted to talk about something, why else would he bring Harry to his office? The old man hadn't even signed his name! "Sorry guys, Dumbledore wants to talk to me. I'll meet you in history." His friends looked rightly worried, but nodded and he walked away.

Harry finally arrived at the entrance to the man's office, rolling his eyes at the clichéd Gryffin door. Honestly, how ridiculous! He walked up the stairs and knocked on the plain wooden door, not waiting to be let in. "Harry my boy! You know it's rude to enter a room without waiting." He didn't respond, simply sitting in the pulled-out armchair and staring at the headmaster. "How are you settling in Harry?" Again he didn't respond, the man knew what to do. "Very well Mr Potter, not one for small talk?" Harry did not miss the irony but yet again waited for him to get to the point. He refused to play the bastards games. "As you're aware, Professor Quirrel has sadly left us. Is there anything you know about it?" Harry frowned with a faux confused look on his face. "I don't understand, I thought he left for personal reasons? That's what Professor McGonagall said."  Dumbledore looked at him for a second, readjusting his glasses and looking down at the littered desk. "Yes of course, there is just a small issue. An object of great value has gone missing in the castle, and I was wondering if you had anything to tell me?" Harry didn't like what the man was implying and continued to feign ignorance. "I'm not aware of anything specifically missing lately. What was the object?" The old man smiled benignly, leaning back and folding his hands. "It doesn't really matter Harry, I was simply curious. And you know better than to lie." He narrowed his eyes at that, it was clear to him what the man was trying to do. He was trying to see if Harry knew anything and, if not, entice him to investigate. "Very well Headmaster, if that's everything?" It wasn't a long interaction and it didn't need to be. Harry had no intention of being near the manipulator unless he had to. As he walked out of the office, he brushed off the man's words. After all, it was almost Christmas! It would certainly be interesting to celebrate Yule with the infamous Malfoys.

Draco woke the next morning, jumping out of bed and shaking Blaise and Theo to get up. He was going home today! With his friends! Oh he couldn't wait to see his mother again, and to tell his father all about his time at Hogwarts! The next few hours were spent packing the Muggle way, unsuccessfully, until Theo kindly reminded him that magic was very useful. After that, it took only a few minutes for him to gather his things, before they greeted Pansy and Daphne downstairs. Together they weaved through the crowded corridors of students rushing to go home for the holidays, towards the Ravenclaw dorms. He burst in through the open door and his eyes widened when he saw the three Ravenclaws day calmly on the sofa, reading. "I can't believe you, you need to pack and get ready so we ca-" He was cut off mid-sentence when Daphne grabbed his arm pointing to the pile of suitcases packed and ready to go at his feet. "Oh." He flushed red and rolled his eyes as the group giggled, shooing them out if the dorm. "Alright, alright, I get it. Now hurry, we need to catch the train!"

Fresh winter greenery passed by them in a blur of festive beauty, softened by a fresh blanket of snow. Small, delicate flakes stuck to the windows, slowly but surely obscuring the view. The scent of cinnamon and warm cocoa wafted through the carriages, as the gentle rhythm of the train tracks lulled it's passengers to rest. Slowly, picturesque nature faded to rough concrete as a train station pulled into view. They children stepped from the train to the platform, and the eager blonde boy raced forwards, to a beautiful smiling lady with black hair and blonde streaks. The others followed to see the child restrain himself, slowing and gently holding the woman close. "Mother!" She hugged him back, looking up and greeting the young children, overlooked by the stern blonde haired Lord behind. "Hello children." Long locks fell down onto dark robes and framed a sharp, alabaster face, with silvery cunning eyes. Hands cloaked in high-quality leather tightened over a skull topped cane as he stepped forwards regally.
Lucius Malfoy.