Chapter 16: A mirror into the soul

It was midnight, and Harry was once again wondering through the dark and empty halls of the castle. Things had been much easier this week, finally less stressed. He had all the gifts for his friends, classes were going well, and he'd been spending more time in the chamber. Unfortunately he hadn't found a book about magic mirrors. He was hoping one of the ghost could help. He turned a corner and walked down the hall that led to what he now knew was the Room of Requirement. Slytherin had written about it, an idea of Rowena Ravenclaw. He walked through, nodding at the fat friar and taking a seat next to the bloody Baron. He'd found that his ghost was a lot smarter than the others, and the most helpful. "Good evening Baron." The ghost nodded, looking up at him. "Good evening young necromancer, how good to see you again. To what do I owe the pleasure?" Harry smiled slightly, and set down Shesha, who was becoming restless. Sitting back up he looked at the ghost wondering, not for the first time, how the man had died. "There's a wizard, he's helping me with some things and in return he asks a favour." He watched the Baron's reaction but the ghost simply nodded, waiting. "There is an object he's looking for, and he seems to think it's in a mirror, but has no idea how to get to it." The dead mans eyes widened slightly, and Harry could tell he knew what the mirror was. He leaned back, waiting for an answer. "The mirror of erised. Also known as the mirror of desire." Realisation dawned on Harry. He'd read about it before, it was certainly no ordinary mirror. Dumbledore must have found a way to put the stone in the mirror, only releasing it if it was the person's true desire. It wouldn't work for Marvolo because he was in Quirrel's body. It would only show Quirrel's greatest desire. He frowned, this didn't help him figure out how to get the stone. "But how could either myself or the other wizard get the stone. A little red rock certainly isn't my greatest desire, I already have immortality." The Baron floated slightly over the table, as if sitting, it was rather amusing to watch. "What would you say is your greatest desire, young necromancer?" Harry thought about it for a second, unsure. "Freedom?" The blank look on the Baron's face made him feel as though that wasn't quite right. "Happiness. I want happiness. Peace." The Baron nodded sagely, placing a cold, transparent hand on his shoulder. "Can this wizard help you with that?" The ghost didn't wait for an answer, floating through the wall and disappearing, leaving Harry to think. It felt as though his business with Marvolo wasn't over just yet.

Marvolo at at Quirrels desk, glaring fiercely at the essay he was marking. Harry had left a note saying he had an idea, so Tom was out waiting for him. Which meant he had to mark this idiotic cretins homework. Seriously, when did he say that Grindylows ate people! He was thankfully distracted by a knock at the door, and looked up to see his little enigma walk in. "Good evening Harrison." The pale boy set down his snake and looked up at Tom, watching him. "Apparently not." Confused, he frowned, waiting for an explanation. "If you glare anymore than that, you're going to get wrinkles. Then again, it's Quirrels face, so maybe you don't care." Marvolo sighed, throwing down the quill and leaning back. He couldn't wait until he could leave this wretched place and get his own body back. "Unfortunately not all students are as clever as you, little raven." He smiled slightly at the grin that appeared on the childs face, before remembering that Harry was the reason he was here. "So are you here to laugh at my suffering, or end it?" The human mystery raised an eyebrow, large smile still on his face as he walked forwards and hopped up to sit on the desk next to Marvolo. "Can't it be both?" He sat up quickly at that, looking at Harry intently. That implied that... Had he found a way to get the stone. "Did you finally figure it out?" The boy nodded excitedly, jumping off the desk and grabbing Quirrels hand, pulling him out the chair and towards the door. He was practically jumping with glee, and surprisingly Marvolo was swept up in it. He was going to get his body back! "I'm ninety nine percent sure I can do it... but that's the catch. I have to do it. Which means I have to be there. Unless you want to carry the mirror to me?" He finished the sentance with sarcasm heavy in his voice, and Voldemort frowned. Why did the boy have to be there? "No, I won't be carrying it. Although I'd like to point out that I am perfectly capable of magic. Why must you do it?" Harry huffed, leaning against the wall as Shesha slithered over and wrapped around his leg. "I forget sometimes, that I can do magic. I'm used to having to do the muggle way.... Anyway, you'll see when we get there." Voldemort watched him for a second, it seemed as though the boy was wanting to say more. Seeing that Harry had no intention of elaborating, he opened the door and, once ensuring no one was around, strode down the hall. "Myself and Severus are on patrol tonight, so it won't be suspicious if he see's me walking around. You however... you may be his new favourite student but I doubt that will stop him from taking points. Or worrying about why you are with me." Harry snorted when he said patrol, but nodded nevertheless, shivering slightly as a strong chill from the stormy winds outside blew by. "Don't worry, I know how to stay out of side." Voldemort looked at the child from the corner of his eye before removing Quirrel's cloak and gently wrapping it around his shoulders. He recieved a small smile in thanks, and he nodded before ushering the boy around another corner. It was strange how fond he was of the Ravenclaw. It seemed so strange that he was going to kill the boy a few months ago. Finally they reached the door on the third corridor, and he opened it, ducking in and waiting for Harry to follow.