CHAPTER 17 - Her Shield

“Hello…Riko.”

Dara’s heart crumbled with the mention of that name. She fixed herself and sat at the edge of the bed, her gaze casted downwards. Her skin is still tingling with the sensation that Jiro left; her lips a bit swollen with the aftermath of their kiss. She clenched her fists tightly, her chest constricting as a wave of emotions flooded her. She will never be the same again. Even though she promised to, how can she forget what transcended between them?

“I’m fine. Don’t worry about me. I have to hang up, I’m in the middle of something”, she heard him say.

Dara felt him staring at her, but she kept her head down. His footsteps entered her ears and she felt the bed bounce a little when he occupied the space near her.

“Are you okay?” He asked.

She honestly wanted to disappear at that very moment. His taste still lingers in her mouth and her nerves ached for his touch. But their brief freedom and momentary insanity has already ended, and she now has to face the sad truth.

“Ramirez”, he said. Ramirez again. Dara wanted to scream. She wanted to say many things; yet her lips remained sealed. She wanted to tell him that the uncertainty brought about by his actions suffocates her. That the fact that he is protecting her and is always around her because of a promise draws a border between them which she does not know if she’s allowed to cross. That it pains her because she knew, she’s already stepping on that line and she is uncertain if she will be pushed away. Yet, those words did not find their way in her mouth, for she does not have the courage to risk what they currently have.

“Yes, I’m fine”, she mumbled and tried to stand up, but her knees wobbled. Jiro was quick to support her, holding her by the arm and helping her regain her footing. She turned her head towards him and their gazes locked, his stare melting her and leaving her breathless. He reached for her, cupping her face with his palm and caressing her cheek with his thumb. She felt his roughness against her skin; his touch giving her both pain and happiness.

“Forget about what happened”, he said quietly and withdrew his hand. What he said stabbed her heart. Why is it that when he takes one bold step closer to him, he takes two steps back; making sure that she’s aware of the distance that separates them?

“Why?” She asked, exerting tremendous effort to prevent her tears from falling.

“Because it was a mistake.”

A mistake. Dara swallowed hard and averted her gaze, too weak to even utter a word. Does he really feel that way? Is it really impossible for him to like her? Or is it because of his promise to her father?

“You will graduate, find a stable job and find a good husband. You will lead a happy life – a life your father wanted for you.”

A life her father wanted for her. Does he think he is not capable of providing her that kind of happy life? Or perhaps, just like what he’s been telling her, he just sees her as someone he has to protect? Was she blinded by her own feelings that she failed to see that Jiro has no plans of reciprocating it and that she has been imposing herself on him?