15.

I mentally groan as I trudge down the crowded school hallway. These hallways always seem to have a different smell to them every time I pass through. And they aren't pleasant smells.

It either smells like someone pissed their pants, shit in one of the lockers, or like there's a dead animal hidden in one of the vents. Sometimes it's all three.

My legs ache due to my nightly runs, causing me to stumble a bit when I turn the corner. It's not enough to fall on my butt, but just enough to make me jerk forward.

My whole body feels weak and my stomach feels nauseous as it rumbles uncomfortably. I know I'm not getting sick because I rarely get sick and the symptoms would be more severe.

Due to the fact that my immune system decided to attack my pancreas, rendering it useless, I can't fight off diseases like the people with immune systems that didn't decide to destroy one of their organs.

That's why diabetics should get flu shots every year because if they get the flu then they are as good as dead.

Did I get my flu shot this year?...I don't know. We'll see.

My legs burn as I climb the stairs and with everyone bustling around trying to get to class on time, my head starts to spin. This happens a lot when there are a lot of people in the hallways. It's like I don't know where to look or what to do because everyone is moving so fast.

I'm panting when I finally reach the top step, trying to conceal my pants with a couple yawns so people don't know that I'm a fat fuck who can't walk up a flight of stairs without having an asthma attack.

I tighten the hold on my belongings and continue my journey to Mitch's class. When I'm a couple feet away, I notice Mitch outside his classroom like always, holding his ceramic coffee mug that he said he made in pottery class and wearing his regular green and white cardigan that he revealed was from Goodwill.

I walk past him with a light nod and go to make my way towards my desk in the back when I hear, "Oh, Charlie! I need to talk to you."

I turn to Mitch as he enters the class to stand in front of me. Everyone around us doesn't pay any attention as they try to finish their homework or talk to their friends before the bell rings.

"Here, lets go talk at your desk so you can put your stuff down." He says, motioning to the back of the room. I nod and we start making our way towards my desk.

I take my seat and Mitch takes the seat that Colin usually sits in when he isn't spending his days in the library. I place my things on my desk and turn to face Mitch. My hands are resting in my lap as Mitch sets his mug down.

I try to go through in my mind what this conversation will be about, but my mind blanks. It's not like I did something wrong. I don't talk, I do my work, I make sure to be very respectful of the teacher, so what could he possibly want to talk about.

Unless I did do something wrong. I do talk to Jake a lot when we should be taking notes, but that doesn't mean I don't do the notes. I also converse with Maria time-to-time, but it's not like we talk as much as Jake and I do.

Charlie, what did you do?

"Am I in trouble?" I blurt out just as he's about to open his mouth. Mitch raises his eyebrows as if he was shocked that I jumped to that conclusion.

The corners of his mouth twitch up and he lets out an amused chuckle, "No, you're not in trouble. I just wanted to see how Anna was doing. She seemed pretty upset last night."

Hold up...what?

I stare at Mitch with a confused frown, "Huh?"

"She seemed pretty upset last night with everything that's going on with James," he explains while I just gaze at him with a confused frown.