Chapter 3

Chapter 3 New Year, New Roommate

     The summer before my sophomore year I spent as much time as I could with my mom, Jenny Black. With it just being the two of us my whole life, at some point, my mom became more like my best friend instead of my parent. But, that was only after she realized I wasn't going to go off and become a rebellious teenager.

     Mom was absolutely amazed by my new look and confidence. One night after we'd been up for hours talking she admitted the city life might just be good for me. Which is something she had a VERY hard time admitting.

     I think, she was hoping I'd hate it and want to come back home. Instead of leaving to go back for my sophomore year. Mom missed me being home everyday when she got in, and was extremely lonely, but way too proud to admit it.

    Before my summer break comes to an end I set my mom up on a dating website without her knowing. At 36 she was still a knockout. She's on the short side at only 5'4. She has mid-length, wavy brown hair with bright blue eyes. She has a voluptuous hourglass figure. That resembles a pin-up from the Marilyn Monroe era.

     Which is why it didn't surprise me at all when she had over fifty replies on the website in just two days! I went through them all, and narrowed it down to two different men. I set her up with a date for both of them the following week. That way she wouldn't find out until after I went back to New York at the end of the week.

             That Saturday after everything is loaded up in my car, I showed my mom the site and her two dates for the following week. While she's looking through everything, and trying to figure out how to kill me without getting caught, I give her goodbye kiss to the middle of her forehead, and run out the front door.

             When I make it back to my dorm there's still a week before classes start back for the fall semester. I have my schedule already thankfully, so I set my room up on the same side as the year before. The decorations are the same as last year. Except the only new thing is a collage of pictures I'd made over the summer of all my favorite memories from the year before.

            But, once that's done the only real thing I have to worry about is the new roommate I'm getting. I call Joss that night desperate to stop my runaway thoughts, and we meet up at our favorite bar. It turns into a small welcome back to the city party that everyone shows up to, and doesn't leave until the early hours of the next morning.

             Since it's still early in the week there aren't that many people moving in the dorms, but luckily my roommate is one of them. The shy, doppelganger of me last year, shows up around noon. Carrying a single box in her hands, and a beach bag on her shoulder.

            She hesitantly walks through the open dorm room door, and places her things down on the empty bed next to mine. Then she turns back around to face me slowly. Raising her hand between us in greeting for me to shake.

           "Hi. I'm Mandy Jane." She tells me softly keeping her eyes on the floor.

           I bounce up from my bed with a smile, and take her outstretched hand. "Hey Mandy. I'm your roommate Abbie Black. Is this your first year at NYU?"

           I move my gaze discreetly along her body then. Mandy is about 5'2 with long, red hair full of wild curls and green eyes. She reminds me of Merida the Disney Princess. She's dressed in a button up three quarter sleeve shirt, blue jean skirt, and a pair of white Keds on her feet. She looks just like me before Joss took me under her wing.