|02|

Penelope

     I'm saved.

     I can't understand a word this guy says, but he's caused a shift in me I never knew was possible. Whenever the thought of rescue popped into my head, I thought I was hopeless. There's no way I could voluntarily be near a man. And yet here I am.

    As soon as the enormous man tore into my cage, and whispered soft, nonsensical words to me, I knew he was here to help. I haven't let go of him since then.

     I cling to him, desperate for the comfort he provides. His beard hairs brush my temple. My tears stain his strange clothing. The shirt he wears is barely visible in the dark, but it looks like it's from the future. His language isn't something familiar at all.

     But his smell, his deep voice, his hand on my back. It feels like coming home in a strange sort of way. I haven't seen my family in years. We were separated years ago. This stranger, I don't even know him, but he's safe.

     I just know that he's safe.

     Everything is a blur around me. There's more men like him around the dark shed, but I don't pay attention to them. If I look at them, I'll be overwhelmed. I focus on my man, and listen to his breathing. His heart beat.

     As soon as the men that kidnapped us left, I thought I would starve to death. I was going to rot in this cell if it weren't for my rescuer.

     "Waytictus marati dur, relinkas." One says, and I stick my face further into my guy's shoulder. He shushes me, his hand cupping the back of my neck. I sob silently.

     I'm alive. I'm free. I'm safe.

     They keep talking back and forth, but I don't know what they're saying. They're speaking in hushed words. I don't look up, I can't handle it. I hear another cage open. They must be letting Jane go.

      "Isa palushins. Ashin olifn rek mista." Someone grumbles insistently. I sniffle, squeezing my eyes shut.

     "Abishka ruk delma fashi moeno pal reske." My guy reprimands, his chest rumbling against my body. He holds me tighter, his face going into my hair. I must smell awful.

     Of course the men that raped us bathed us, but it wasn't a pleasant experience.

     I would always fight when they brought in the bucket of scalding hot water that they poured over each one of us. I still have the burn marks. I shudder at the thought.

     This guy is a stark contrast to those men. He's kind, he's gentle. I've never had this feeling before, and I don't want it to go away. He makes me feel safe.

     Eventually, the guy tries to stand up, but I protest. I start crying immediately when he tries to help me stand up. I'm a whiny baby, but I don't want him to stop holding me.

     No, no, no, no. I say in my mind, grabbing his leg and holding on tight.

     "Mucha yestendi jastas?" He asks, and then I guess he realizes I don't understand, and that I won't respond, because he bends down over me. His eyes are beautiful, wide and intelligent, vibrant amber.

     His eyes... they're almost... glowing. All of their eyes are glowing.

     Who are these guys?

     Since he's closer to me now, I reach up, wrapping my arms around his neck so he'll pick me up. He obliges. When he's holding me, he stands up to his full height, and I realize how far up I am off the ground. Wow. He's tall. I look around. They're all ridiculously tall.

     What are these guys?

     I have no idea, but I don't really care. They're here to save us. Even if they aren't human.

     They saved Jane too, but the other girl is dead. She's been dead for days. She died before the monsters left, and they didn't do anything about it. They didn't really care. They left her body to rot.

     I didn't know her. I didn't mourn her. At the time, I thought she was lucky to have escaped this. Now I feel awful.

     If she held on for just a little bit longer, she could have lived. I feel guilty that I got to survive and she didn't. Now is no time for guilt. I need to have hope.

     Sometimes, hope is all you get.

Still working on the banner for this story! I've been a bit busy

Still working on the banner for this story! I've been a bit busy. Hope you enjoyed the chapter! Sorry it was a little short