epilogue

A few months later

Penelope waited patiently on the back porch, wondering where her mate was as she held the perfect bundle of joy in her arms. She bounced up and down, soothing the child with ease.

The more she stared down at the beautiful baby girl, the more Penelope wished that she had a baby of her own.

After a few weeks of hearing about all the crying that had been keeping poor Posy wide awake, she thought she could stand to wait years to have her own child. However, with the precious infant in her arms, she knew instantly that she wanted a baby more than anything.

The precious thing started up at her with hazy eyes, not quite able to focus yet with her green irises. Her thick black hair was gifted from her father, and her pale skin from her mother. Hazel was a perfect mix of her parents.

She lifted a pudgy hand, shoving it in her mouth impatiently as she suckled on her fingers. Penelope giggled, knowing that it meant the child was hungry for her Mother's milk.

Even though she didn't want to wake Posy from her much needed nap, she had to bring Hazel back before she started to fuss over her hunger.

Penelope made herself known with a gentle knock on the door to Posy's bedroom.

"Come in." Called a groggy voice through the wood, so Penelope opened the door and made her way to the sleepy new Mother.

"Someone's hungry. Sorry to wake you." Penelope said softly, her voice still gaining confidence with each use of her vocal chords.

Posy waved a hand in playful dismissal.

"I'm not surprised, don't worry about it. I got a few hours of sleep in. I'll be fine." She reached out her arms for her child, and Penelope obliged. "Come here, princess. Mommy missed you."

Posy nuzzled her baby's little face, giving her a few kisses before undoing her shirt, preparing to feed her. Hazel started rooting around for a nipple, Greedy for her meal.

Penelope looked away, not wanting to intrude on the private moment. She said her goodbyes to Posy and Hazel before leaving the house, impatient to get to her own family.

Her family of 2 that is, it was still just her and Elik in their home, but she didn't mind. She loved her mate with all her heart, even if there wasn't a child for them to spoil quite yet.

It wasn't for lack of effort, but there was still no sign of a baby. After a few doctor's visits, they were told that everything is in order, it's just taking a little bit of time. The delay could very well be attributed to the stress that Penelope had been under for the last few months. It wasn't surprising, and as soon as they heard it from the doctor, Elik was always trying to make her more relaxed.

Messages and baths were a daily necessity in his book, as well as lots of love making.

It was obvious to Penelope that Elik wanted a "kit" as he called them. When he first saw Hazel, he fell in love, almost immediately demanding that they have one of their own.

Penelope agreed, all too willing to have a baby to cuddle and nurture.

The sound of conversation drew her, and she glanced up to see the two Rytarians walking towards the house after being in the fields harvesting the crops.

They made it work, living out here, making a living off of the land and the various other resources they got from the farm animals. Animals that Penelope still couldn't get over. They were very strange looking, one species was a pig sort of creature, except it had a trunk.

She ran down to meet her man, throwing herself into his arms. Elik didn't hesitate before picking her up and planting a long kiss on her lips.

Torint simply laughed, saying goodnight before hurrying into the house to see his mate and baby. He did that every night, always excited to see them again after a few hours of work.

"How was your day?" Penelope asked, leaning back in his strong arms to get a glimpse of his handsome face. Elik grinned, her favorite expression in the world.

"Better now, of course. I thought of you the whole time." He replied, and Penelope has it in her mind to tease him.

"I didn't think of you one bit." She said cheekily, and Elik narrowed his eyes in playful suspicion. "Instead I thought of all the babies you'll give me."

Elik's eyes lit up, always thrilled at the mention of kits with his mate.

"Well, I guess we better go to our den, shouldn't we?" He asked, already walking away with the love of his life in his arms. She laughed hard, gripping him around the neck to steady herself. She couldn't stop the smile that stretched her cheeks.

Penelope never knew she could be this happy after all she had to live through. She realized that being into that cage, she was living for something, waiting patiently for a certain someone to come along. She lived for her mate, even then, and she would continue to live for him for the rest of her life.

"I guess we should. You better hurry before I change my mind." She teased.

And with that, Elik sprinted.

Can't believe it's over! Thank you all so very much for sticking around and reading the story

Can't believe it's over! Thank you all so very much for sticking around and reading the story. I'm thankful to each and every one of you.

Book 3 will be announced soon! I'm super excited to continue this series and see where it goes

Haven't commented before? Let me know what you thought of the book! Don't be shy, I would love to hear from you!

See y'all soon