|09|

Elik

     I would think that being snuggled up tight to the female that I already think of as my mate would be wonderful. And it is very pleasant, but I am not as comfortable as I would like to be. The sensations are too much for me to handle. I am a physically strong male, but she makes me feel weak as a newborn kit.

     The lights are off, and Penelope's breathing has not yet even evened out, so I know she is awake. She remains very still in my arms. I ease away from her, my desire to touch her body too strong for me to stay in the same position for long. I will give in if I stay here with her. Then she will hate me.

     She wriggles when I scoot back, as if she's annoyed that I would distance myself from her. I smile at the adorable nature of it, but I cannot put her at risk, no matter how much she wishes to torture me.

     She has been through trauma. I cannot be selfish since I wish to mate with her. The vision of what she would look like without clothes makes me swallow a growl. I am a monster to be thinking such things when she innocently lays beside me.

     Penelope turns under the covers, and even though it's dark, I can see her squinting at me across the large nest. She's wondering why there is so much space between us. I clench my jaw as she follows after me.

     This was not the plan, and now I am in trouble.

     I roll out of the nest and onto my feet in one swift motion. I stand, looking over to the bed where a very disoriented human female sits up. Her eyes are wide with confusion.

     "Elik? What's wrong?" She wonders, leaning over the flick on the wall light above the nest. It's glow is dim and barely highlights her beautiful face.

    "Nothing. Do not worry. I have just decided to sleep on the couch." I tell her, grabbing a pillow and trying to slip away, but she does not accept my deception.

     "Don't lie. What happened? Did I do something wrong?" Her voice is so sweet, and heartbreaking. It's soft plea of sadness will not stand, not as long as I'm around to ease her worries.

     I quickly neal before her, touching her hair and face to reassure her of my dedication to her. She leans into my touch, closing her eyes as she nuzzles my palm.

     "No, my dear human. You can never do anything wrong. I swear this." I say with conviction, her eyes open, tears growing already. A shoot of panic grips me.

     "Then what's wrong?" She presses, and I smell her pain. She doesn't like me keeping things from her. I sigh. I want to be honest with her, but I don't wish to frighten her. She is easily spooked, and I would hate to be the one to disturb her.

     "I feel desire." I say, my voice a low rumble. She tilts her head to the side as if she does not understand. "A desire as a male, to claim you as my mate."

     Understanding dawns on her pretty pink face. She shivers, and I close my eyes as pain overtakes me. Of course she wouldn't want me. I knew this would happen, she has been taken against her will. Raped by vile males.

     Then why do I feel as if it is personal? Why has it hurt my feelings? Why do I ache?

     I get back to my feet, stalking away with my heart hurting. I will sleep away from Penelope if it means protecting her from myself. It is the only way. She is everything to me, she must be kept safe.

     "Wait! Come back." She demands, and I turn in shock. She's standing there before me, so tiny yet so mighty. She is so brave when she wraps her arms around my waist. I just told her how I wish to take her and she wants to touch me still? How is it possible?

     "But those human males... they touched you.. you are not ready." I assure her, and she nods begrudgingly in agreement. Then her eyes light up with mischief, and I wonder what she is thinking.

     "They never kissed me." She says softly, and I nod, bending to kiss her on the head. It was a common exchange between mates before the disease took our woman.

     Penelope reacts by giggling. It is my favorite sound, I wish to hear it all day.

     "No, silly. On the lips." I raise my eyebrows, my nostrils flaring. Is she serious? Is that something that humans do?

     I think back to the only Rytarian human couple that I know, and suddenly remember Posy and Torrent pressing their lips together. A kiss. On the lips. I never thought such a thing existed.

     Penelope leads me back to the bed, and I am mindless as I watch her take my hand and drag me behind her. She is small, half my size, but she holds all the power here. Once I am on the nest, she scoots forward, pushing her hair out of the way as she climbs on my lap. I lean back against the wall and she comes after me.

     She is doing the pursuing, leaning forward as she grabs my head in her tiny hands, pressing those red lips to mine. They are so soft, and they taste so good.

     I am lost in sensation, and my eyes automatically flutter shut. I shift positions, pulling my little female closer to me until she's pressed against my chest. I move my lips, my tongue, my hands. They all roam and flex as I let myself enjoy this new activity that I am slowly realizing is my new favorite thing to do.

 They all roam and flex as I let myself enjoy this new activity that I am slowly realizing is my new favorite thing to do

Sorry for another short chapter, I promise they will get better! For now, enjoy the first kiss. Finally, right?

Next chapter will be up next week. Not committing to any specific day, because it's hard to know how my week will be.

See you soon!