Chapter 14

Late that night, Baird stood in a vacant lot and stared into the black, starry sky. Abigail snuggled closer to him as the brisk breeze brushed over them in a fresh gust. A smile crept to his lips as he kissed her forehead. The crisp and clean nighttime air of Antepeño was quite invigorating.

Brant, Hannah, Chariya, and her men stood expectantly around Baird and his wife, gazing with him into the sky as the pancake-shaped vessel covered in blinking lights continued its slow descent.

Finally, the Sand Dollar settled onto its landing gear several yards away. A series of hisses emanated from the ship after the engine's roar subsided, the various lights deactivating in sync with the airy sounds.

All was black for several seconds. Palpable anticipation grew as the onlookers waited, their patience wearing thin. Hannah began to bounce on the balls of her feet, while Chariya craned her neck and squinted into the darkness. Baird's breaths deepened as he caressed his wife's arm with increased vigor.

At long last, the Sand Dollar's exit hatch slid open. A bright light shot from the ship above to the ground immediately below the entryway, and with a smile, Baird released Abigail, freeing himself to sprint over.

Aaron slid down the dangling black rope first, and a colossal grin spread across his face. "Baird!" he shouted, snatching him into a bear hug. His eyes crinkled as he shut them, and he squeezed his old friend's body just as tightly. "It's been way too long! I've missed you, bud."

Baird grinned back. "I've missed you too, Aaron. A lot. I'm...beyond words."

Aaron chuckled and patted Baird's shoulder one last time before releasing him. "That's a first."

Skipping the rope altogether, Wendy dropped from the hatch. Her metal boots rang on the concrete patch as her gaze lifted to meet Baird's. The very corners of her mouth moved up as she nodded at him.

Baird smiled and laid a hand on her shoulder. "Nice to see you, Wendy."

"Likewise." she replied, before she spotted Abigail a standing few yards back. An uncharacteristically broad grin spread across her face. Without ceremony, she hurried over to greet her.

Keira descended the rope next, and upon sighting Baird, she bounced into his arms and laid a kiss on his forehead. Her arms wrapped around his neck. "Hey!" she squealed, "Do you realize how much I've missed you?"

Baird smirked. "Probably not, but I suppose I'm about to hear all about it."

"I'm not gonna bore you. Not yet, anyways." Keira replied as she slid down onto her feet. She laid a hand on her chest. "But I've gotta say, it warms my heart to see you again."

"You stole the words right out of my mouth there." he remarked.

Keira laughed and moved along, clearing Baird's field of vision just in time for him to witness Sila's jump from the ship interior above to the ground below. He stared into the robot's lifeless eyes with an uncertain smile.

"Reunited." Sila articulated, reaching its slender fingers out.

Baird nodded and shook the robot's hand. "Good word." he replied pleasantly before turning to Aaron. "You haven't modified this thing one bit!"

Aaron chuckled and shrugged. "What can I say? I've been busy with more pressing matters."

"Fair enough." he conceded, looking up as an unfamiliar man slid down the rope.

The man bore a dark complexion, donning a black jacket with a high collar. He bit his lip and reached out for a handshake. "Ace."

Baird obliged him vigorously. "Nice to meet you, I'm Baird. Don't tell me you can only say one word at a time too." he jested.