Chapter 24

"Okay, so we have Innutukian backing. Cool." Ace remarked from where he sat on the couch with his leg propped up on a stool. "But what're we doing now?" 

Chariya inhaled and swept her gaze over the men and women assembled in the suite's common area. Before her stood all the people she'd brought along with her, as well as the newcomers who'd joined along the way. She'd just briefed them all on the diplomatic meeting she'd just finished, and now the time had come to decide on a new course of action. 

"Well," the princess finally began, "their first legion will be sent to our stronghold nearest their capitol." 

"I have no idea where that'd be." Ace said. 

Aaron sat up. "That's the unfinished one, right? In the Northwest Corridor?" 

Chariya nodded. "That is the one." 

Ace crossed his arms. "Sounds like a dangerous meetup spot, if you ask me." 

"Why do you say that?" the Kemarian challenged. 

"Isn't it obvious? You're all boxed in there! You've got Alconte itself right to the northeast. Odego a few miles northwest. And Jasmidian southwest!" 

"Yeah, really. You're just asking for a bloody ambush at that point." Wendy agreed. 

Chariya sighed. "What other choice do we have? We have no right to be picky, when we are the needy ones. It would be a far greater inconvenience for Innutuk to send its fleet all the way around the West Coast, just to reach our shores on the other side of the continent." 

Ace shrugged. "Still doesn't feel safe, but whatever. So that's where we're headed?" 

"Ultimately, yes. But I do feel we should make a stop in Jasmidian. We still have yet to verify what exactly happened down there, if anything at all." 

Aaron nodded. "Alright, so down to the Jasmidianite stronghold, investigate it, and then what? Cross the mountains into Kemaria to reach the rendezvous point in time?" 

"That is exactly what I was thinking." 

"Awesome." Aaron's gaze shifted to Brant. "And what about you, Artifact Boy? Are you tired of us yet?" 

Brant looked up from his folded hands. "That's what I've been thinking over. I was originally thinking of retrieving the Olive Branch, destroying it, and making my leave of you. But now, I'm not sure I can." 

"Oh yeah? Why's that?" 

"I still need your help." Brant admitted, "See, Dove counts me unworthy even to touch his artifact, let alone get close enough to destroy it. And the more I think about it, the more unfair I feel it is for me to ask so much of you guys, and not to give anything back." He tightened his lips as he glanced at Ace. "Especially in light of the...inconvenience...I've caused you." 

Ace shrugged. Can't be stressing how I needed help, or they'll never take my solo capabilities seriously again. he told himself before finally speaking. "Dude. I'll be fine. You just do what you gotta do." 

"This is what I've gotta do." Brant corrected before he turned to Chariya. "Is there any way I could help you?" 

The princess eyed him with no lack of skepticism. "We could always use extra hands on deck, yes. But if your intention is to join the ranks of the Kemarian Insurgence officially, you cannot be ideologically wishy-washy. Do you wish to join for the inherent merits of our cause, or only for personal gain?" 

Brant stared at Chariya's face for several silent seconds before finally answering. "Unwarranted and heinous as many of the other rebellions have proven themselves, I've come to realize your cause is unlike theirs. You fight for the wellbeing and happiness of the Kemarian people, and the preservation of their culture. If I'm correct, and that's the core of your ideology, then yes, I stand behind that and will fight for it."