Chapter 21

After about an hour of slow progress through the guard-infested corridors of the Forbachean stronghold, Brant groaned. His frantic heart ached, along with every other muscle in his body. His eyes stung and cried out for hydration, but the man was too far into the thick of the action to afford giving them the relief of blinking often. His head also pounded, the sensation resembling a pummeling from hammers internal and external. 

He grunted and impaled one last man with a spear. As he dematerialized the bloody weapon, he cast one last glance around the room. Seeing nobody, he closed his eyes and took a few deep breaths. 

Brant opened his eyes again at the sound of Keira clearing her throat. She pointed at her watch and nodded before slipping the communicator from her pocket. After taking in another mouthful of air, he stepped closer to her. 

"Hey, Ace, you there?" she spoke into the device. 

"Yep. And boy, have I got news." Ace's voice immediately replied. 

Brant perked up. "What is it? Did you find—" 

"Sorta." 

Keira frowned. "What's 'sorta' supposed to mean?" 

"Well, I interrogated one of these dudes, and I know where the artifact is." 

"Where's that?" Brant asked, struggling to hide the agitation in his voice. 

Ace coughed on the other end of the line. "On the bottom floor. Weird golden door at the end of an arched hallway. Super complicated master lock on it that only the 'Overseer' has access to." 

Brant glanced up at the decorative arches above his head. Then his gaze travelled down the hallway, where many more hung at frequent intervals. And sure enough, at the end of the corridor, just at the limits of Brant's piercing gaze, a golden door awaited. 

"We're here, Ace." Brant finally spoke into the communicator. "We're on it." 

"Okay." Ace replied. Then a series of creaking and bumping sounds carried over the airwaves. He hissed a clipped curse into the device. 

"What is it?" Keira demanded. 

"I've got a decent hiding spot," he whispered, "but I'm surrounded. I'm low on ammo, out of anything useful, and they're looking for me. Can't hide forever." 

"Well," Keira began, biting her lip, "where are you?" 

"Third floor. I...Okay, I hate asking this, but could you come up and help me out? I left a breadcrumb trail." 

Brant narrowed his eyes. "You mean to tell me you brought breadcrumbs along just so you could—" 

"No, idiot. Bubblegum smashed into the floor at every turn I made. Ow, my jaws." 

Keira inhaled. "Alright, well, I guess—" 

"Gotta go!" 

With a click, the call ended, and Keira locked her worried eyes with Brant's unconcerned gaze. Without a word, he pivoted on his heel and sped down the hallway. 

Keira huffed behind Brant and sprinted to catch up with him. "Where're you going?" she demanded, "Ace—" 

"I heard just fine. We came here to retrieve the artifact, not help him." 

"Did you seriously just say that?" 

Brant glanced at the woman. "I did. If you disagree, you're more than welcome to go without me." 

Keira gritted her teeth and snatched Brant's arm. With all the strength she could muster, she yanked him back and broke his run. "Listen to me!" 

"What do you want?" he asked with a glare settled onto his brow.