Chapter 33

Chariya sat cross-legged in her seat in the Butterfly's cockpit while the pilot made a landing run on the pad outside the half-constructed stronghold in Kemaria's Northwest Corridor. With closed eyes, she engaged in silent meditation, focusing her mind especially on the overall profitability of her journey. 

The road had been long, and full of ups and downs, mostly the latter. She'd endured much grief and anguish as setbacks and roadblocks aplenty hurled themselves into her path. But at last, the princess enjoyed a glimmer of hope and a moment of optimism. 

It was also true that seven of the recruits she'd gathered in the mountainside had deserted upon hearing of the calamity Buzzard had caused, declaring it was their duty to rebuild their home. But the remaining 25 recruits persevered with her, and even now prepared themselves to disembark and officially join the ranks of the Insurgence. Brant and Ace also had proven welcome additions to her crew, twisted as their paths to loyalty had been. 

Both Danlash and Antapeño had refused to give aide to Chariya's cause, but ultimately, she found herself satisfied with the alliance of only Innutuk. A military and industrial powerhouse equal to the Alcontean Empire, the nation's willingness to assist the Insurgence encouraged the princess and assured her that victory was still possible. 

Chariya finally rose to her feet and entered the main cabin. She swept a reserved smile over the men standing around, among whom Baird stood. She stepped over to a drawer, unlocked it, and pulled out a bundle of papers, the completed first draft of her new Kemarian constitution. She held the bundle to her chest and grinned as she imagined the prosperity and happiness of her people if her proposed changes to the government were ratified. Under her watch, Kemaria would prosper again. 

Once the landing had been completed and the pilot shut everything down, he lowered the ramp, and Chariya descended first. She stood outside and basked in the sunlight while inhaling the familiar scent of her homeland. The sweet aroma of pine filled the air and brought a still larger smile to her face. 

When both the Butterfly and Sand Dollar had emptied themselves onto the landing pad, Chariya led the throng to the drab entrance of the unfinished stronghold. Lumber and unused stone blocks lay strewn about closer to the building, along with small cranes and forklifts. Dirty-faced men scurried about the disorganized construction area, hardly bothering to acknowledge the princess' presence as they carried out their work. 

Chariya perked up when a patchy-bearded man in a well-fitted uniform sprinted out from the front door. "Your highness!" he exclaimed, bowing with clasped hands. "I apologize for the...less than hospitable welcome. But it brings me joy to see you." 

The princess grinned. "Do not concern yourself with such things. I am no vain lady." 

"Well, that's good." he said, "Because pretense isn't my speciality." 

Chariya nodded. "I do confess, I had not originally intended to leave you in charge of overseeing both the construction and operation of this base simultaneously for so long." 

The man shrugged. "It's only right that I should exert myself for my princess and my people." 

"Now, that is a blessed spirit that lies in your breast." Chariya remarked, "So, how goes the construction?" 

"We're falling a little behind schedule, I'm afraid, but progress is steady nonetheless. The process hasn't been without problems." 

"I understand. Well, as I informed you, I succeeded in gaining the favor of the Innutukian king, and one of his legions should arrive here in approximately four days. Will you be able to prepare sufficient accommodations in time?"