iii. trusty companion

Harper's brows raised, his face forming a deep scowl as Jack sat with the stranger, wrapping the hyperventilating man into his arms.

He crossed his arms and rolled his eyes, tapping his foot impatiently. He gave them a few moments before sighing, "So, do you have the ability to explain yourself or what?"

Jack shushed him out, shaking his head as he patted the crying man on his back. He pressed the stranger's head closer to his chest, whispering, "Shh, it's gonna be alright. You're fine."

Harper fought the urge to once again roll his eyes---seriously, his best friend's antics were totally unamusing sometimes.

The shaking stranger held on Jack's comforting embrace, gradually trying to stop himself from crying. Jack continued on comforting him, giving brief, gentle squeezes on the other's arm.

Harper paced back and forth into the room, tapping his fingers over his crossed elbows---he was on the verge of storming out of the room due to impatience.

A few more minutes passed before the stranger finally was able to calm down. Jack giving him a roll of tissue that was sitting on the bedside table.

The now calm raven thanked the other as he blew his nose and clean his tear-stained face.

Harper and Jack waited for the stranger to compose himself, clearing his throat as he begun talking, "I killed somebody."
Harper closed his eyes and huffed---he figured when he saw all the blood on the raven's clothes and his blue panicked eyes.

"I k-killed him because he was harassing me," The stranger continued, his voice quivering. "He started with little touches, simply joking around at first but he tried to do worse tonight."

Harper saw a tear fell from the raven's eyes and the other quickly wiped it out, "I-I panicked and I stabbed him. God, his blood was all over the floor and I... I just have to run away."

Nobody spoke after the stranger's confession.

The room was as quiet as the night outside, contradicting the mental state of everyone residing the small space---tense, troubled and pretty much chaotic.

Harper sighed, closing his eyes for a little bit. He was too fucking tired to deal with this shit.

He reached out inside his jacket's pocket, fishing out for his trusty companion.

He got a cigarette stick, putting it in between his lips. He lit it up, bolting outside into the cold, dusky air.