xviii. confess my crime

Harper gazed at the tinted windows, the blow of the aircon tingling over his skin as the radio softly played in the background.

The car seat felt so foreign to him, so stiff and rigid unlike their first car, but it was comfortable enough for their adventure.

He honestly missed their first stolen yellow Porshe. Even if him and Jack got bruises from the people who originally owned them, the reason due to Jack stealing some money from them, it was worth it to imagine what they have probably felt when they stole their car too.

He missed their sweet ride but there was nothing they could do about it. It was already toasted and burnt in an abandoned warehouse, together with their bloody clothes, the gun and pipe he used.

Gazing on his side, Jack was staring off into the seeming distance, looking over the seemingly boundless trees.

The other two was sitting behind them, Brooklyn crossing his arms with Sonny anxiously biting his lips.

Harper yawned, already tired from driving all day long.

"Do you want to pull over for a bit?" Jack asked, Harper silently nodding.

"If it's quite alright with you guys, I'm quite beat."

Brooklyn and Sonny didn't mind, Jack pointing to a fenced ditch to which Harper parked the car over. He stopped the engine, Harper opening his car door to let in the breezy air.

Brooklyn and Sonny got out of the car, the former sitting on the van's front hood while Sonny leaned his back on the passenger seat door.

Jack shrugged at Harper, going out too and climbing over the car roof, close to where Sonny was standing.

They all gazed to the slowly falling sunset, Harper reaching over his pocket for a quick smoke.

"So, could the explaining happen right now?" he heard Brooklyn ask, glancing at him and Jack. "Where the heck did you two go last night? And, what happened to the car?"

Harper puffed and huffed some of his cigarette, waiting for Jack to answer.

He listened to the other explaining how their group was followed by his stepfather, him confronting the old man and discovering that his mother was killed.

"Jack, I'm sorry for your lost." Sonny said, holding the other's thigh.

"I killed the fucker, shot him till the bullets ran out and smashed his head with a pipe. He deserved to die." Harper hissed, holding tightly on his fag. "We burnt the car with the gun and the pipe to not leave any evidence but we're not sure. The police might still find out sooner or later."

No one spoke, sinking in everything that Harper and Jack said. He heard Brooklyn clear his throat, pointing his head at Sonny's direction.

"How about you, Sonny? Was the news true? Did you actually kill the man on the telly?" Sonny tensed up at the blonde's question.

Sonny sighed, fiddling with his fingers anxiously, "I did, he was harassing me since I started working for him. But that night, he tried to do worse and I panicked. I grabbed the knife and stabbed him."

"Well shit." Brooklyn muttered, facing the three with a sad smile. "I guess, it's time to confess my crime too."

Harper was intrigued, all their ears focused on the crossed-legged man sitting on top of the front hood.

"I killed my big brother when I was young," Brooklyn begun, chuckling self-deprecatingly.  "Not intentionally like you all but my parents said it's my fault."

"It was an unfortunate car accident, the stupid me running over the busy traffic and him pushing me away." Brooklyn gazed down at his shaking hands. "I saw him bleed to death and fuck, it really was my fucking fault, isn't it?"

"My parents kept blaming for the incident, made sure it was etched on brain growing up. It made me depressed, causing the burns and scars in my body." Harper saw Brooklyn clutched mindlessly on one of his arms. "I do it whenever they blame me."

"One time they caught me swallowing a bunch of pills in my bedroom. And, they called me fucking crazy," Brooklyn choked, laughing miserably. "They took me to a doctor and was diagnosed with bipolar disorder and major depression."

"I tried ending my life seven times, and I  pathetically failed all of them." Brooklyn smiled sadly, gazing at the other three. "The seventh one was when you guys saw me. I tried starving myself to death but I fainted in the heavy rain."

Harper heard someone sniffing, at first he thought it was Brooklyn but he heard the other ask, "Curlies, why are you crying?"

Sonny wrapped both his arms around the smaller blonde, engulfing him into a hug, "You don't deserve all of that."

Brooklyn chuckled, whispering to the other, "That's new to hear."

"Fuck your parents, Brook. Forget about them because they're shit." Jack muttered, jumping down the roof.

Harper felt Jack's hand grab his arm, pulling him out of the driver's seat.

He tried getting out of his friend's grip, the taller tutting as he dragged him closer to the cuddle Brooklyn and Sonny was having at the front of their car.

Harper sighed, wrapping an arm around Jack's waist, the other on Sonny's shoulder. Sonny smiled at both of them, tears still falling into his eyes as he moved a hand from Brooklyn's neck down to Harper's back.

They all huddled closer, letting the mere somber sunset witness their momentous fervor.

"We are close to paradise, guys... just a bit more." Jack mouthed, his hold on Harper and the others tightening.

Harper and the other two nodded their heads, beaming at the hopeful tall boy's words.

~

we stan the sarcklyn hug 🤧✋😔💕

welp, now brook's past has been dug up... my poor bby ;; what'd you reckon happens next?

hope you enjoy reading! have a great day/aftie/night! 💞

(SubtleJacklyn/Trixia)