Chapter One

Emily's Pov

"Yeah, mom. I'm fine, I promise." I said through the phone as I unpacked the last of my clothes.

"Okay, sweetie. Just be careful," she said while sniffling.

"I will, mom. Got to go. Love you," I said as I sat down on my bed.

"Love you too, honey."

I sighed as I placed the phone next to me. I can't believe I'm starting college tomorrow.

I was so shocked when my mom said that I actually graduated. The bad part of it was that I could attend it.

My mom told me I was in a coma for six months. I missed all my senior events in high school.

I missed prom. The talent show. Graduation. I even missed my birthday.

My mom told me that I was seriously injured. My left leg and right elbow were broken. My left collarbone was fractured. I even had three broken ribs on my right side.

The doctor told me that I had to be careful at all costs because even the least amount of pressure will damage the ribs even more, and I would struggle to breathe.

I sighed as I fell back on my bed. I honestly just want to forget about the past and focus on my future.

I picked up my phone from next to me and looked at the time — 8 pm.

I groaned in pain as I got up from my bed. I quickly got a pair of pajamas and slowly walked to the bathroom but nearly tripped over my roommate's suitcase.

When I finally got to the bathroom, I walked over to the bathroom mirror above the counter and sink.

I looked at myself in the mirror, and I can't help but think how much I've changed myself.

My naturally blonde hair is brown. Due to the accident, my vision got terrible, and now I'm hiding my blue eyes behind a pair of brown contacts.

Yes, I do have glasses, but sometimes they bother me, so I wear the contacts- not like that's any better.

I quickly stripped down my clothes and looked down at me. After six months in the hospital, I have lost 10 pounds.

My mom wasn't happy about that, and she MADE me eat more, so by the time I had to leave, I have already gained 5 pounds.

After all the time I have been told that I was fat, I finally stopped believing it. I started eating again, and it was so good to have the taste of chocolate and everything in my mouth.

I haven't realized how much I've missed those flavors until I started eating again.

My mom and I became closer and closer. She wasn't just my mom; she was like my best friend.

Just thinking about my mom and what she has done for me makes me smile.

Hopefully, after two changes in my life, my life would change for the better.

*******

"Yo, Emily, wake up" I heard someone yell, making me groan in annoyance I turned around so that my back was facing the person.

"Emily, wake up, or you'll be late for your first day," the person said, making my eyes go wide.

I slowly sat up straight and stretched my arms above my head but immediately regretted it when a sharp pain went through my body.

"What time is it?" I asked my roommate, Alex, who was currently putting on her sandals.

She looked over at what I think is her alarm clock and said, "Its 7 am. You have an hour to get ready," she said and stood up from her bed and walked over to the door.

"I'll see ya later," she called and shut the door.

I sighed and slowly got up from the bed, and before going to the bathroom, I quickly grabbed some clothes.

After a twenty-minute shower, I finally finished. I wrapped a towel around my dripping body and walked over to the counter.

I quickly plugged in the hair drier and dried my hair.

When I finally finished, I quickly put it in a ponytail. After I've done that, I let the towel drop and got dressed

*******

"Hey, Emily" I heard someone yell. I swirled around and saw Alex running up to me.

"What class do you have first?" She asked with a smile on her face.

"English, you?" I said while continuing to walk through the hallway.

"The same," she said.

As Alex and I walk to our class, we talked about everything. I haven't realized how nice she is until now.

"Well, here we are," Alex suddenly say while stopping in front of a classroom door.

We slowly stepped into the room, and the few people who were already in there were looking at us with a blank expression.

I scanned the classroom until my eyes landed on a guy.

My breathing hitched as I watch them making out.

"Come on," Alex said while grabbing my wrist and pulling me over to two empty desks.

*********

"Okay, class, I'm Mrs. Meyers. Why don't we introduce ourselves to the class" she said and pointed to a boy in glasses in the front.

As everyone introduced themselves, my mind was still stuck on Luke.

Why did I have to be in the same college as him? I wanted to forget my past so bad, but that's impossible now.

He moved with his mom while I was in the hospital. My mom said he never even called to hear how I was doing. She also said that he never even visited me in the hospital.

I was brought back into reality when Alex tapped my arm. I looked around, and everyone's eyes were on me.

"And your name?" The teacher asked, making me gulp.

"Emily Tyler," I said, making her nod her head and move on with the people.

I looked down at my lap and started fiddling with my fingers. My head snapped up when I felt someone stare at me.

I looked around the class until my eyes met those brown ones who were staring holes at me.

Luke sat there with that girl clung onto him, and he just stared at me with his mouth agape.

I guess a person's past always caught up to them...