chapter three

ETHAN

I looked at the bright lights illuminating the city from the large windows that landscaped my office. The sunrise looking absolutely breathtaking at this time. It really was around the only time I got peace and quiet before Ava had people buzzing in and out of the house, almost everyday, it was exhausting really but something I was used to. And having this time to myself was calming, like therapy almost.

Hours could go by and I wouldn't know where the time would go. Pictures of Veronica and I laid across the room, multiple memories I never wanted to forget, and future memories of what could have been with my unborn child. There was days I couldn't stop crying because of it. Sleepless nights of me overthinking and how life would be had I been there to save her. To save my kid.

Would I have been a good father? A question that crossed my mind almost more often than I wanted to admit. Even five years after her death and she still had me wrapped around her finger.

But there was still so much on my mind.

What was Madison trying to imply? these news clippings and random shit in the box she left make no sense. Ava couldn't of killed Veronica, she isn't capable of this. What was I thinking trying to prove she was the one that killed her besides a few things madison "said." What if I read her signs all wrong and it was someone we knew.

Could it have been Jordan? No of course not I barely knew him and what motive could he have to kill Ronnie.

What was the motive?

This investigation was ruled as a homicide, a closed case that was all too familiar. Sure Ava was psychotic in certain aspects. But why would she go out of her way to kill Veronica? She definitely had motive but not once did she catch us in the act.

Or could it have been Veronica and I were too oblivious to notice Ava had been watching us the whole time? God, there were so many unanswered questions I could wrap my brain around even trying to answer one. I had to figure this out, I had to get justice for Veronica, it's the least she deserved from me.

A knock on the door suddenly sounded as I looked at the camera from my laptop. It was Ava, her blonde hair swept into a perfect little ponytail, her arms crossed over her chest while she stood there in a floral dress, still just as beautiful since the moment I met her, but a completely different place person when you got to know her.

Her manipulation wasn't something I noticed until after that night– she was good at it. The main reason being I was blinded by the thought of loving her I pushed it aside and made it as though it was the love she was expressing for me. It was like something clicked, her aura and her personality just completely appalling to the person I once knew. And it hurt, for someone I had been with for a few years and is married to isn't the person I want to spend my life with.

I could leave her, I know I wanted to, I wanted to leave this hellhole we called a home and not feel bounded to her. I couldn't do it. But I had to for Veronica. If I wanted to know what happened to her I know I need to go through Ava to find out.

I sigh with a roll of my eyes pressing on the intercom in order for me to respond. "What do you want Ava? I'm busy."

"Let me in." She demands ignoring my question.

With a frustrated groan I stand up from the desk chair and walk across the room opening the door. After making sure it was locked behind me I walked down the short narrow hallway and out the other door to be met with an angered Ava.

"How many times are we going to have to go through this argument for you to understand I won't let you in there?" I ask closing the door behind me, a satisfied click sounding once I did.

"I am your fucking wife Ethan, I should know what you're doing in there."

"Unless it has anything to do with you; I don't have to do anything." I say pushing past her, stalking in the direction of where the front door was located.

This was a recurring argument that somehow surfaced whenever Ava seemed to be in the mood to pick a fight with me which more or less looked to be everyday.

"If I was Veronica would you have treated me like this?" She asks from behind me.

I stopped dead in my tracks not wanting to comprehend the fact she had the audacity to speak her name. Angered I turn around to face her, the look on her anything but guilt or remorse. I felt sick stating knowing this was someone I used to love.

"Don't you ever fucking dare say her name." I growl with a pointed finger.

"Or what? Are you gonna cheat on me with another woman like you have been for the past five years? Hm? Do you think I'm stupid Ethan? That I don't know what you do when you come home late." She says. Yet her face was blank, completely unreadable.

"We're not having this conversation Ava." I say through gritted teeth.

"Don't you dare walk out on me Ethan or expect to sleep on the couch." She screams with a loud stomp of her foot. I can't believe I found this woman to be unbelievably astounding at some point.

"Don't I anyway?" I speak matter of factly, slamming the front door behind me not waiting for another response from her mouth.

Before I could even get into my car my phone sounded, a exaggerated but completely justified groan escaping my lips thinking it was yet again
my wife texting me empty threats.

Bewildered yet slightly ecstatic, it wasn't a text from
Ava.

So Dolan, how about that date?

-
unedited
so a few things:

1. firstly thank u for 700 reads already wtf ur amazing

2. this book is gonna be focused on a lot of things and i want to give more insight into madison and graysons relationship, so this will include lots of flashbacks through their journey, is that something you want to see or more so on the future instead ot both let me know ur thoughts on it!!

3. what are your predictions/ thoughts on the story so far?

4. ps updates might be slow depending on when i get the time to write so for now i'll be posting every friday and possibly a bonus chapter during the week (don't take my word for the bonus chapter)

vote + comment, see u next chapter <3