Chapter One

One

1685. The July heat and humidity were horrible that year in New Orleans or rather the swampy bayou lands just outside of the growing city. But the skies still blessed the land with healthy rains. The cotton crops were good this year. The Jasper family had plenty; not only with wealth, but with a newborn addition to their expanding little family. Caroline had blessed her husband Aiden with a fine, healthy daughter, though she was a little small coming a month or two early. The couple named her Addison Elyse.

But the birthing was hard on Caroline; she was a small and fragile woman. She would produce no more offspring for the Jasper line. This occurrence sent her into a deep depression.  These events forced Aiden to take in one of the slaves from the fields, an elder black woman named Neeta, to help raise the baby girl up. Yes, he was not saddened at the fact his name would not carry further than him, his only concern was for his wife and newborns wellbeing.

Through the years, Caroline overcame her sorrows. But she had a hard time bonding with little Addison, whereas Aiden lavished attention and gifts on the child. He retained the nanny, not subjecting her back into the fields, to help teach Addison how to be a proper young lady.

At five, Addison was full of life. Her flesh was sun-kissed with a nice golden tan from hours spent outdoors. Hours spent playing with the children of the slaves or riding her ponies. Her dark hair was always out through the pain-staking task of curling. And she was always dressed proper in the finest of clothing. Though the hours outside left her proper little outfits in shambles come the end of the day from her rough play.

It was then that she started taking an interest in the goings on of the slaves. The 'religion' they practiced; the dolls and charms and gris-gris. Caroline was against this curiosity in Addison, finding blasphemy in the voodoo culture of the slaves. She demanded Addison to their own 'proper' church services every Sunday morning.

But Addison's nanny, Miss Neeta, began teaching little Addison simple things in secret. The simple doll making, charm making, protection wards of the voodoo religion.

As Addison grew in age, she hungered for more knowledge of the low-country Voodoo. Miss Neeta obliged her growing need, as did some of the other slaves. They had each taught her the differing roots, herbs and blossoms needed for certain things. The candles, anointing oils and the spell baths. Even the secret animal sacrifices. Many of them practiced differing kinds of the voodoo, from low-country to Haitian to African.

When most girls were preparing for extravagant balls, Addison cared little for such things. Though to hide her secrets and protect the slaves, she participated. To please her mother and father, she went to each social gathering, presenting herself as a proper belle of the ball. Participating in these functions helped her family's social standing in the wealthy circles. Though with her coming of age brought suitors.

Many eligible bachelors, both young and old, vied for her hand. Some her father dismissed, some he encouraged Addison to get to know better.

Addison was reluctant. She didn't like any of them. The older wanted her for her nubile young body, and well, so did the younger suitors. But all in all it came down to her father's wealth. Greed was everywhere.

Addison was often warned not to go into New Orleans shipping and slave selling districts alone. But that was where the merchandise she sought was; the secret little shops hidden within other little shops. Miss Neeta had accompanied her with a big strong slave male as protection in the past.

But in 1705, just after her 20th birthday, Addison had slipped from the plantation into the city. There were some herbs and roots coming in from Haiti and Africa on the slave trade ships that she wished to buy for her own collection.