Chapter 4

2017

MALLORY HATED ANYTHING ASSOCIATED WITH CROWDS.

She didn't like how easily she lost herself in them, in the confusing cacophony of the horde, and the overwhelming buzz of activity. When she was younger, she would always go out of her way to avoid any gathering of more the five people. Cole had always said she would grow out of it, but at seventeen, Mallory knew that wasn't going to happen.

"Cheers!" The co-ordinator of the party, a short man in black overalls, held a glass in the air, gesturing towards a roomful of exuberant people, who seemed more interested in associating with their fellows, than fulfilling the purpose of the gathering. "Cheers to the celebrant, Mallory Trent."

Everyone immediately looked at Mallory, their intense gazes penetrating her soul. She forced a smile that veiled how unnerved she was. It was all she could do. Smile. Smile despite the anxiety that wrapped its scaly fingers tightly around her throat. She brought this on herself, after all.

"Baby girl!" Cole approached her with outstretched arms. Though Mallory knew that he wished no harm but good for her, she felt a bit of hostility towards him. He was the reason she was here, enduring what she could have avoided. He was the one who had tricked her into coming here in the first place. He'd said they were going out to meet some relatives, and Mallory thrilled to, for once in her life, know someone in her family other than Cole, had donned herself in her best dress. Mallory should've known it was a lie. It had long enough for her to know she had no blood relative. Cole always said tall her grandparents were dead, and that her mother and siblings died in a car crash. She was very sure she would've loved them

"I'm Sixteen dad. I'm not a baby anymore," Mallory barked at him, pouting petulantly. Well, so much for trying to feign maturity.

Cole tucked his tie into his silver vest-jacket and glanced up at her. "I know you're mad at me gaby gir—Mallory. But I performed my duty as your father, to give you the best sweet sixteen any normal teenage girl would long for."

Yes, that was where Cole missed it, she wasn't just any normal teenage girl.

"Have fun, Mallory. " Cole's tone suddenly turned serious, demanding even. "You don't know how precious these moments are until they become—"

"Memories!" the voice Mallory despised hearing interjected. The middle-aged woman squeezed her way between the small gap that distanced Cole from her. She dug her hands into Cole's messy, blonde hair and gave him a chase kiss

Susan Wells. Mallory thought. Why her, why today?

"Oh hey, Mallory!" Susan piped in, her high-pitched voice almost damaging Mallory's eardrums. "I dashed right here when Cole told me it was your birthday today." She placed her filthy hand against Cole's chest and shot him a smile.

Susan Wells, the woman who Mallory despised since she began crawling. Susan was the most repulsive woman Mallory had ever known. She was vile, rude and flamboyant. Beneath all the thick layers of cosmetics, she was an ugly demon, malicious and crafty in her wicked ways. The more reason she saw loads of plausibility in Cole divorcing her. She'd forever respect him for making that choice. But even divorce wasn't enough barrier to keep the unscrupulous woman away from Cole. it just wasn't.

"Mallory, how about you go hang out with Samantha over there?" Susan questioned, obviously trying to veer Mallory away from her presence. Mallory turned to Cole's and relented to the reprimand dancing in his expression. He wanted her to behave, and behaving meant not slandering Susan Wells.

The only thing worse than Susan Wells was her spawn, her daughter, Samantha Wells. The presence of the Wells had already ruined Mallory's sweet sixteen already. Samantha Wells was tapping away at her phone by the podium. Though Mallory hadn't neared her to the point of noticeability, the suffocating scent of her strawberry cologne dug its way through Mallory's sinuses.

"Samantha!"

Samantha turned dangerously, her chemical stricken hair almost slapping Mallory's face as she did so. "What do you want?" She asked, cocking her eyebrows in a way that didn't cease to expose her agitation.

"It's so nice to see you," Mallory said, using every inch of strength she had to hold the padlock that kept her hostility locked away. The snake of a girl intimidated Mallory. Mallory always felt as though Samantha carried venom, waiting for the right moment to unleash it on her, and she dreaded the time she would.

Samantha rolled her eyes and flipped her long, rainbow-colored hair to her back. "Oh, you," she said derisively, sweeping her counterfeit eyelashes over Mallory's body. " Even though it's your birthday, you dress like it's otherwise."

Just at the time Mallory opened her mouth to attack, the MC called from the podium. "Mallory!" the speaker yelled. "It's time for your performance."

Samantha sighed and gave her one last murdering look. "Ta-ta. See your later."

Mallory watched as her hair swayed left and right whilst she walked away. She felt the usual desire to yank her hair from the roots of her head, but that desire soon sank into that of playing the violin.

With calculated steps, Mallory strode to the podium, sat against an intentionally placed divan and retrieved the violin that laid lazily by her side. Despite the horde of people looking at her, she remained unnerved by their scrutinization. She was elated when the tumultuous nature of the crown sank into the serenity her music birthed. There was something immensely satisfying about the placidity of the crowd and the new aura of authority that surrounded her.

Perhaps crowds aren't that unpleasant, she thought amidst subduing the horde of people with her violin's hypnotising cadence. No, They're not at all that terrible.

Author's Note.

I have no choice but to dedicate this chapter to wydnoor. I love her so much for commenting and voting on Mallory's Melody. Don't forget to check out her stories too.