13. Change in The Plan

-Jordan-

-Jordan-

Monday. I was lying on the couch, staring at the ceiling, blinking only when my eyes were getting so dry it hurt. I had calm, sad music playing on the background, with low volume. Soul Battles. The name of the song. Whenever it was playing, I felt like I was living my final minutes. The harrowing music made my body and soul shiver in melancholy.

The beauty of the song was disturbed only by the clock on the wall. That damned thing that ruled everything in my life. I turned to look at it, and the visor moved, mocking me with its entire existence. Whenever it moved, I was one minute closer to my death. With how things were now, how they had been the past seven years, I might as well have been living my final minutes.

Why would I care if I died tonight? I would finally be freed from the grip of time, and my family could finally stop mourning the loss of me. They lost me years ago, but since I was still here, haunting them, they couldn't move on. I was merely a ghost now. If I were dead, they could finally move on.

I sat up and looked out. It was still too early, so the balcony was empty. I lay back down with a sigh and changed the music before it would consume me. I turned my eyes on the clock and felt something I hadn't felt in a long time, if ever.

"I ignored you," I whispered triumphantly. "I'll do it again. Watch me."

Not today, not tomorrow, but one day.

"Jordan?"

"Over here," I lifted my hand, so Blake knew where I was. The sound of his voice got my nerves all messed up, so I needed a moment to calm down before I could stand up and face him. "You're early today."

"Sorry. I was too eager to see you," he chuckled.

I turned to see the clock once again. One day...

*****

Tuesday. Was I doing the right thing? I kept thinking that I was ready to die, but was I really? I was still scared of what he could do... Blake. He was a big man, but... We had been talking for days now, with my door open so I could hear his voice. He had a nice voice... He could come right in if he wanted, and there was nothing I could do to stop him. If I fainted before I could scream for help, he had all the time in the world do to whatever he wanted with me.

But, when he was in my balcony, giving me warm smiles and flirty looks, he didn't even go near the door. He didn't seem to be even considering it.

I turned my head away from the TV and checked the balcony. It was already dark outside, and it was raining again. I had left the rope for him to climb up, so he didn't have to risk his life every evening. I told him last night that he didn't need to wait until seven to come to see me. Maybe he would come sooner today?