Day Seven: Eggsy Unwin

Prompt: I'll be home for Christmas (song)

"I'll be home for Christmas"

"But it's the holidays, babe," Y/n pleaded as Eggsy backed his bag. "You can't leave now."

Eggsy zipped up his bag, turning to his girlfriend. "I have to. People are relying on me." He stepped closer to her, wrapping her in a hug. "It won't take long. I'll be home for Christmas, I promise."

Y/n's head rested on his chest, listening to the thumping of his heart. "But what if you're not?"

He pulled her off him, holding her head so he could look in her eyes. "I promise, Y/n. And I don't break my promises." He kissed her deeply, pulling away reluctantly when he heard a beep from his driver out front.

Her eyes filled with tears as the sound echoed in her ears. It was time for him to go. "You better come back."

He picked up the bag, walking backwards to the door. "I'll be home for Christmas."

"You can plan on me"

Y/n called her mom the next day. "I might not make it for Christmas, mum. Eggsy got called away for a business trip and I need to be here when he gets back."

"Can't he just meet us here?"

Her mom was upset. Christmas was for family and Y/n wanted to blow them off for her boyfriend. But Y/n couldn't tell them the truth. She couldn't tell them she would be worrying about Eggsy the whole day and wondering if he was even alive. So she just tried to reassure her mom that they would come over as soon as Eggsy arrived.

"Please have snow and mistletoe
And presents by the tree"

Decorating took her mind off her anxieties. She hung up lights, decked the halls with garlands and holly, and even hung up mistletoe just in case—after all, it was Eggsy's favourite holiday tradition.

By the end of the day, the house was perfectly decorated, and all the presents were wrapped. She could finally take a moment to relax—hopefully without her mind drifting. As she sat on the couch with a cup of hot chocolate, she noticed it was snowing outside. Perfect, fluffy flakes were falling slowly from the sky. It was beautiful, and just in time for Christmas.

"Christmas eve will find you
Where the love light gleams"

She had spent all day worrying. No sign or call from Eggsy to let her know he was okay. She had nothing. It was almost Christmas. He needed to return. He promised.

She could feel the magic of the holiday, but it hurt that she wasn't experiencing it with Eggsy.

"I'll be home for Christmas
If only in my dreams"

Eggsy jumped awake as the plane shook. They had landed.

11:38, the clock read. He still had time. He could be home just in time for Christmas to begin. He had had nightmares of being late and seeing the look of hurt on Y/n's face. It hurt even more when he dreamt he didn't make it home. He knew she would be worried, but he had to go. If he hadn't, the holidays could have been ruined for the entire world.

He quickly jumped in his cab, speeding home.

"I'll be home for Christmas
If only in my dreams"

The loud ding of the Grandfather clock woke Y/n. It was midnight. Christmas.

She bit her lip, hugging her arms to her chest as her mind raced through the worst possible scenarios.

A knocking on the door, snapped her out of her wandering thoughts.

She quickly jumped up, running to the door.

As she approached, she could see the person through the window. Her eyes instantly brightened, and a smile appeared on her face. She threw open the door, jumping into his waiting arms.

"Eggsy," she sighed into his neck, squeezing him as tight as she could. "I missed you so much."

"I missed you too, babe. I love you so much."

They had never said those words before, but they knew in their hearts that it was the truth.

"I love you too Eggsy."

She pulled back, letting him through the door. He trudged in, kicking the snow off his shoes. After taking off his coat and scarf, he wrapped Y/n in another hug. "I told you I'd be home for Christmas," he smirked, knowing the response he would get, but wanting to hear her voice.

"You're home on Christmas, there's a difference."