Day Twelve: Tony Stark

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!

Prompt: First Christmas

(Note: this is a bonus story for my "Daughter" fic but can still be read as a one-shot)

Christmas 2003

Tony sighed, sliding into the back seat of his car. It had been a long night, full of people, gambling, and alcohol. A typical night for the billionaire.

Obadiah threw a Christmas party every year. Despite not wanting to go, Tony had an image to maintain, so he went. He couldn't have the press snooping in his life, so he avoided creating any major changes to his lifestyle. Unfortunately, not attending his friend/mentor's party would bring unwanted attention.

It wasn't that he didn't want to attend the party; Obadiah was a close friend. He had been helpful when Tony lost his parents, and even more helpful in getting Tony settled within Stark Industries. Christmas was a time for family, and—since Tony considered him family—he wanted to spend some time with him.

He was glad to be out of there though. He had more of his family waiting for him back home. It would be the first Christmas he spent with his daughter. She was only two and was unlikely to remember the night, but Tony would remember every moment he spent with his daughter.

Happy—his driver—looked at him through the rear-view mirror. With a nod, Happy started the car and headed home.

Y/n had been left with Tony's friend, Rhodey, and his assistant that was more like a friend now, Pepper. Y/n liked spending time with them. Tony had often needed assistance with her over the months and they were his go-to people. They had been very helpful and immediately accepted when Tony asked if they'd watch Y/n.

She was such a special girl. Already, at her young age, she could walk and talk, and had started learning to build things, like her father. She liked being in the garage with him, watching him work or even helping. She had already learned the names of most of his tools. She also adored Tony's robot, Dum-E. Her giggle would echo in the room when Tony would argue with the robot who seemed to do nothing right.

Tony loved that laugh. It always brought a smile to his face. He loved everything his little girl did. He would cheer her on in any situation.

The car pulled up to the house.

"You coming?" Tony asked Happy, starting to climb out of the car.

Happy looked back with wide eyes, but Tony had already exited. He quickly followed his boss.

"Daddy!" Y/n called, running towards Tony as soon as he was through the door. "You're home!"

Tony picked her up, hugging her close. "I am. And you're wide awake!" He was happy she was awake still. He had been stuck at the party for longer than he wanted to be. "How's the party going?"

"What party?" Y/n pulled back, looking at her father with curious eyes before she caught sight of movement over his shoulder. "Happy! I didn't know you were coming!"

"It's not a party till Happy shows up, Pumpkin," Tony explained. He set her down. "Lead the way."

Y/n took off down the hall, not checking to make sure they were following.

The living room was bright and warm. Tony had gone all out with decorations, getting everything and anything he thought Y/n might like. It turned out she liked everything and insisted on putting it all up. The living room had got most of the decorations, including five different stockings hung over the fireplace and three Santa Clause blankets.

Rhodey and Pepper were sitting on the couch, one of the blankets draped over Pepper's lap.

"Welcome back," Rhodey said, turning to see the men walk in behind Y/n. "Fun party?"

Y/n quickly hurried to what was clearly her spot. The largest of the blankets had been laid to resemble a sort of nest, and a group of her stuffed animals—including the large teddy bear Tony got her, and the smaller but still above average sized stuffed elephant Pepper had got her—were carefully placed around the nest. Her pink knitted blanket was on the floor just in front of the nest as if it had been on her but fell when she rushed off to the door. She picked the blanket up off the floor, snuggling into the nest and covering herself with the blanket.

Tony smiled. "A blast. People with too much money and a never-ending supply of alcohol, what could possibly go wrong?" The room filled with soft sounds of laughter. "Nah, it was the same as always. Nothing too interesting to report."

The adults talked, Y/n listening and chiming in when she felt like it. Eventually, she got tired and crawled into Tony's lap. She lay against his chest, her blanket clutched in her hand. Tony softly rubbed her back as the conversation started to be filled with yawn breaks.

Eventually, Pepper stood up. "I'm going to head home." She smiled at Tony as he started to move. "Don't get up. I think Y/n's asleep; I don't want you to wake her."

Tony looked down. Her eyes were softly closed as little snores were heard. "I'll put her to bed. Wait a minute?"

Slowly and carefully, he cradled Y/n in his arms and stood up. Reaching her room, he decided she didn't need to change. He didn't want her waking up and her clothes were comfy. He tucked her into the giant bed that was nearly half-filled with stuffed animals. Her pink blanket, he placed over her before bringing the rest of the covers over her small body.

"Goodnight, Pumpkin," he whispered, placing a kiss to her forehead.

In her sleep, Y/n smiled, filling Tony with warmth and happiness. He quietly exited the room, making his way back to the group.

Everyone had moved to the entryway with their coats and boots already on.

"What? Y/n passes out and the party's over?" he asked.

"Yep!" Rhodey replied.

"I'm jealous of her, Tony." Pepper yawned. "I am so tired; I want to pass out too."

"I was just leaving because everyone else was," Happy admitted, although his face had started to grow red from fatigue. "I can stay if you want, boss?"

"No, no," Tony smiled at his friends, "you guys have a good night."

They thanked him, saying "goodbye" and "Merry Christmas."

As soon as they exited, and the door had shut, a thought popped into Tony's head. He opened the door quickly. "Next year!" he shouted so his friends would hear. "Same thing!"

Once he heard three confirmations, he smiled to himself, backing into his house and shutting the door for good this time.

They would meet up next year, and the year after, and after, and after, until they decided to stop. His Christmas would always be perfect with these people and now they were set.

He headed towards his room, pausing when he passed Y/n's room. He opened the door, checking on her.

She was sitting up in bed, her small hands in fists as she rubbed at her eyes. "Daddy?" she called, seeing the light from the hall.

"What's up, Pumpkin?" Tony headed to the bed, sitting on the side. "I'm sorry if I woke you."

"Daddy, can you stay with me?" Y/n asked with a quiet voice as if she was afraid of the answer. "I don't want you to go yet."

Tony's heart broke. He didn't want her to be afraid of him leaving. "Of course. I'll always be here when you need me."

She snuggled back under the covers, pushing some stuffed animals out of the way. Tony laid down facing her. "Go to sleep," he whispered when he noticed her eyes were open still. "I'll be here when you wake up."

"Okay, Daddy. I love you. Merry Christmas."

Y/n had only said those three words for the first time on her birthday and they still shocked Tony. Only his mother ever said them to him, so it still filled him with giddy excitement when he heard his little girl say them. He smiled, watching her eyes fall shut. "I love you too Y/n. Merry Christmas."