Day Eleven: David Budd

Prompt: Christmas Surprise

David sat by the tree, surrounded by gift wrap and tissue paper. His wife, Y/n, and he had his kids, Ella and Charlie for the evening; their mother would pick them up around nine. After a nice dinner, the four of them had gathered in the living room to open presents. Once the kids had opened all of theirs—and David and Y/n had opened their presents from the kids—Y/n had taken the young children down the hallway to their room, with a promise of returning in a minute.

David was left alone, allowing his mind to drift. Y/n had been so excited to host the kids this year. David and Vicky had decided to alternate years. Last year the kids came to David's parents' house for Christmas, but Y/n and David didn't get much one on one time with all the hecticness of Christmas day. This year, the kids were with them for Christmas Eve. Y/n had spent the whole day baking and playing with them.

He could remember the first Christmas Y/n had come to with him. It was her first time meeting the kids and she had been so nervous. Her worrying had been for nothing though; as soon as David introduced her to them, the kids dragged her away to play games with them. They adored Y/n and she felt the same.

Seeing Y/n play with Ella and Charlie, only made David fall more in love with her. By the following Christmas, they were married.

His family was perfect. He and Y/n had been trying to have a baby of their own—though the love they would have for the baby would be the same as the love they had for Ella and Charlie—so far, they hadn't had any luck.

Y/n came back in the room, sitting across from David. The kids stood in the hallway, peeking around the corner. When David locked eyes with them, they quickly pulled back, so they were hidden again.

Giggling soon echoed into the living room from the hallway. David scrunched his eyebrows at his wife. "What's happening?"

"It's a surprise. A very special Christmas surprise. I've been told that I need to prepare you." Y/n twisted her face into a mock seriousness, narrowing her eyes and pressing her lips together. "Ella thinks you may be too excited to do anything, so you have to stay sitting."

She turned around quickly to look at the kids. David saw them give her a nod.

"Without further ado," Y/n announced loudly, turning back to David. She tapped her knuckles against the floor to mimic a drumroll.

The kids ran out from their hiding spot, standing beside Y/n. They were wearing new shirts over their clothes. David looked at the shirts. Ella's read: Big Sister. David looked at Y/n wondering what the surprise was. When there was no hint, he turned to read Charlie's shirt. It read: Big Brother.

Y/n smiled as she watched the emotions change on David's face. Confusion, followed by understanding, then shock, and now excitement. A big smile stretched across his face. As Ella predicted, he was speechless.

Y/n reached behind her, grabbing a small package and placing it in front of David.

The kids sat down beside her, watching their day with equally large smiles. With slow and shaky hands, David managed to open it. It was a small box. When he opened it, he found a pair of tiny shoes—baby shoes. Attached to the lid, was a black and white photo and written on the back were the words: see you in June. It was grey and fuzzy, but David knew what it meant.

"Does he not understand?" Charlie whispered into Y/n's ear.

Finally, he was able to tear his eyes from the picture and look at his wife. Charlie had found his way into Y/n's lap. "Is this really happening?" David asked her.

She nodded. "You're going to be a father of three, Dave."

David lunged forward, wrapping both his kids and Y/n in a tight group hug. "I love you all so much." He sat back. "You two are going to be an awesome big brother and sister." He kissed the tops of the kids' heads. "And you," he smiled at Y/n, "you're already an amazing mom! This kid," he rested his hand on her stomach, Charlie and Ella placing their hands beside his, "is going to have the best family ever."

"Don't forget, they'll have an awesome dad," Y/n smiled, placing a quick kiss to David's lips. "Merry Christmas."