The Stranger - A Warrior Cats Fan Fiction - Epilogue

I do not own Warrior Cats - All rights belong to Erin Hunter. The only cat of mine in this story is Amberblaze.   

Epilouge

       As she woke on the foreign land, she realized something was wrong. Sitting up, she shuffled her paws on the gravelly lakeshore.  

Wait, paws?!?

            Jumping up in fear, she scrutinized every part of herself. Her golden-brown fur glittered amber in the sunlight. Looking at her reflection in the water, she marveled at her startlingly blue eyes; they looked almost to glow.

            Her breath rasped in her throat as her memories came rushing back.

How can it be?

            Looking around, she drank in everything with her eyes. The leaves seemed greener, the sky bluer, the smells stronger. The sunlight dancing off the waves from the lake seemed almost to blind her.

How is this possible?

            She didn’t know the answer to that, but she knew she had little time to act. She positioned herself downwind, sat, and waited. Not a minute later, a gray tom with blind blue eyes walked out of the bushes, sniffing for juniper. He froze as he caught her scent.

  “Hello, Jayfeather. I’ve been looking forward to talking to you.”

                                                         z

Jayfeather shook out his fur in relief. He carefully snipped off the stems of catmint, preparing for the coming leaf bare. The life-giving juices from the plant were nearly irresistible, but he controlled the urge to eat it. He needed the catmint for greencough, a devastating sickness that could wipe out an entire Clan. There was no other cure, so any supplies he had were precious.

                  Carefully picking his way through the woods down to the lake, Jayfeather reveled in his blindness.  He was born blind, and the cats in his Clan never understood that the blindness was a part of his life. Except, of course, his brother. Lionblaze understood that Jayfeather’s blindness was nothing to pity.

       Lost in his thoughts, Jayfeather started as he felt the waves lapping at his paws. Quickly jumping back, he remembered when he had almost drowned in WindClan territory. Although he had not known it then, the warrior who had pulled him out, Crowfeather, was his father. ThunderClan’s medicine cat, Leafpool, was his mother. Because being mates was against the warrior code, Leafpool had hidden the fact that Lionblaze and Jayfeather were her kits, and her sister, Squirrelflight, had pretended to be their mother.

            When their sister, Hollyleaf, had found this out, she had revealed it to all four Clans at the Gathering, forcing Leafpool to step down as medicine cat. Hollyleaf had run down to the tunnels, a secret that the littermates had shared. Unfortunately, the tunnels had collapsed, killing her*. Jayfeather, having trained under his mother as medicine cat apprentice, had taken her place as medicine cat.

       Sniffing for Juniper, Jayfeather uncovered a different, more startling scent.

There’s another cat here!     

        Turning around, Jayfeather realized he could see.

 Is this a vision? He thought.

When StarClan, a clan of dead ancestors, wanted to share something with him, they usually allowed him the gift of sight for the time the message took to be given. He could also see in his dreams, but since he was not asleep, StarClan seemed the only other option.