Chapter 3

Amberblaze woke to the sound of Firestar talking to the Clan.

“We need to set up shifts for guarding Amberblaze. Any volunteers?”

“I will!” Lionblaze jumped up.

Good, thought Amberblaze. Jayfeather must have told him.

“Thank you Lionblaze. You can guard her during sundown.” Firestar then appointed various cats different parts of the day too guard her.

One of the kits asked, “Will she ever come out?”

“Only to use the dirtplace tunnel or to eat.”

“But can’t we bring the fresh-kill to the bush?” meowed one of the elders. ‘Why do we have to risk her getting away?”

  Amberblaze walked to the entrance of the den. “I believe I told you before that I have no intention of escaping.” She said, as many cats jumped at the sound of her voice.

Firestar gave her a short look, then said, “For the moment, we will have to trust our guest. In the meantime, everyone else should go back to their normal duties.” After a moment, the cats dispersed. Brambleclaw formed a border patrol and Lionblaze walked over to her.

  “Are you hungry?” he asked.

“Yes, thank you.”

            Amberblaze walked confidently to the fresh-kill pile. Sitting down, she picked a mouse gently from the pile and began to eat. “You know,” she said, “If you let me hunt, I wouldn’t just be sitting around all day, eating your food. I could help your Clan.”

Lionblaze said nothing.

After a moment of silence, she said, “Everything we do is to survive. Every hunting patrol, and border patrol. But what we do during our time here can change the lives of others.” She closed her eyes before standing up and walking to her den. “And what we don’t do can change the lives of many who come after we are gone.”

           Jayfeather waited patiently as Firestar continued to talk.

 “I would feel much better about our guest if we knew her intentions were friendly.” He said. “I’ve asked Brightheart to look after the Clan while you got to the moonpool.” The moonpool was the place where leaders and medicine cats went to communicate with StarClan.

   “I was going to ask you soon anyways,” said Jayfeather. “Now would be a good time to go…”

“Good. You’ll go at sun-fall?”

“Yes.”

The shadows in the forest had grown longer as sun-fall approached, and Jayfeather was already on the rocky slope that led to the moonpool. He felt his paws slip into the paw prints of the ancient cats who had walked here before. At last he reached the small pool, and he took a drink from its silver waters and lay down to go to sleep.

            In his dream he was still at the moonpool. Recognition flashed in his eyes as he saw a mangy grey-coated cat walk towards him and up the slope.

“Yellowfang,” he greeted the former medicine she-cat as she rested beside him.

“What do you want this time, Jayfeather?” she rasped.

“You mean you don’t know?”

“Don’t know what?” she snapped.

 “A stranger has come to the Clan. She calls herself Amberblaze. Firestar wanted to ask you what Starclan knows about her.”