6

"Patty?" Lorna muttered, it was dark, and she was far-sighted, not something she appreciated at the moment. As quick as she could, she flicked on the bedside lamp, and grabbed her glasses. She looked over and watched for a minute as Patty cried and curled in on herself. Out of shock of course, she's not a heartless monster. "Patty." She nudged Patty's sleeping figure, which normally wouldn't have woken her, but seemed to now. "Patty..?"

"I-I.." she inhaled sharply starting to uncurl, still crying. "L-Lorna..?"

She sighed and moved closer to Patty, letting her laying her head on her shoulder. "Right here.."

Patty sniffle and put her hands over her mouth. She inhaled deep and tried to stop crying as Lorna ran her fingers up and dow her spine. "Breathe, Patty, you're okay."

"I-I.. so-so much blood.."

Maximum confusion acquired!

"There's- no blood, Patty." She just nodded, still sniffing and wiping away fallen teardrops. "It was just a dream."

They were quiet, Lorna was back to sleep in no time - but that left Patty in the quiet dark, staring at their ceiling. It looked textured, like it had swoops of paint in curtain areas, but why would anyone paint their ceilings? Didn't seem to have a purpose.

Why is she thinking about ceilings again?

'Oh, nightmares,' she mentally reminded herself, flipping onto her left side. Her phone lay on the bedside table. 'Should I..?'

Screw asking, She picked the device up and went straight to Messages and opened Renée's contact. Renée was always awake, especially when someone needed her or she was low on coffee. She typed a quick hello and waited for a reply.

Almost as fast as lightening, which was pretty quick, Renée had responded and asked why she'd been up so early? Late? Who knows, it was 2:36 am. She'd turned her phone on silent, and toyed with the end of dog case. Her only reply to the question was: can't sleep & knew you were up.

They'd talked for a while, that was until Renée had been told to sleep. That's when Patty had found herself absentmindedly wandering into the living room and turning on Steven Universe, to try and soothe her. She'd only had one nightmare than this had been worse, and had never told anyone what it was about- but she pushed the thoughts back, watching the animated characters on the screen. It was amazing, how a 'children's show' could be so useful to adults.

"Have you gone back to sleep yet?"

She pulled the soft (homemade) quilt up around her and shook her head. She peered over the top of her glasses, sort of trying to avoid looking at Lorna.

"You know you're body requires eight optimal hours of sleep." (Is this right?)

"I'm not tired."

"Do you want to talk about the dream?" She asked, now sitting next to her. She shook her head and kept watching the show, putting her all into focusing on it. "I think-"

"I don't want to."

She sighed and moved so she was under the blanket as well, laying there now - though she rather preferred the bed, and said, "Fine. Goodnight."

"Goodnight.."

~

She was not expecting to have fallen asleep again, and have woken up at 11:42. But, when she did, she was greeted with two blurry grilled cheese and a cup of tea. She smiled, realizing that it was all that way because her glasses were next to them, with a piece of paper under them. Grabbing one of the sandwiches, she picked up the paper and her glasses.

"I got called out before you woke up, I hope you have a good day, Love, Lorna."

She happily ate the semi-warm food and a sipped at the tea. It had been made just as she liked it, ice cream creamer and a spoonful of sugar. That alone had made it hard to remember why she was on the couch, instead, it made her think of how well they'd know one another. Like how Lorna had only tea when she'd had too much coffee, and how she never added any sugar - drinking it straight and tasteless. She'd been called a 'true-hero' for such actions.

Truly inspiring.

You'll never be able to guess what she'd done after thinking about that.

It was a poor day to have a sweet tooth. As soon as the bitter tea had his her tongue she went to eat ice cream.

~

AND I GUESS THIS IS WHERE WERE ENDING? Suuuuper crappy ending but :)))