five

_

_

After the interviews, I started to head down to my room so I could get out of this dress and get to bed. Since tomorrow is when the games start, I wanted to get a good nights sleep. As I'm walking down the corridor, I hear the sound of heels clicking on the tile floor behind me.

"Finch?" I hear Melodia's high-pitched voice call from behind me. "I'll miss you! After all this will surely be the last time I'll see you." She says, acting as if I most definitely won't make it out of the arena alive. She's probably right about that anyways. She walks up to me and pulls me into a rib-breaking hug. I sigh and hug her back gently, not wanting to poke myself on any of the dark violet spikes coming from the back of her neon green and yellow dress. Melodia pulls away from me and looks into my eyes. "May the odds be ever in your favor." She states. And with that, she walks away down the hallway, her heels clicking on the cold white tile flooring.

-🕸-

I splash ice cold water on my face, taking off the last bits of the shimmery makeup left on my face. I look at myself in the mirror and stare back at someone I finally recognize. I change into the comfy pajamas; this is the last time I'll ever wear something as expensive as this. I'm now confident that I won't win the games, I'm expecting one of the careers or possibly Katniss to win, or maybe even Thresh has a chance.

I slip under the covers of the warm and comfy bed, I try to remember everything about the feeling of sleeping in the plush and springy bed. I stare up at the ceiling, trying to process what had just happened over the last few days. I had been chosen to be the female tribute to represent my district for the hunger games, I had gone on live television in front of all of Panem to see, I had dressed in luxurious clothing, eaten things I had only dreamed of tasting, and trained for... killing people in the arena.

I finally slipped off into a deep sleep as my thoughts vanished, leaving my mind blank.

-🕸-

The next morning goes by in a flash, I really still can't believe this is really happening. Melodia wakes me up early in the morning as usual, I get dressed into the clothing I'll be wearing in the arena, and I eat breakfast.

My stylist puts my hair up into two space buns, and fixes my clothing. She then leads me to a metal platform that I'm going to be lifted into the arena on. I take a deep breath in as the glass door closes me inside the metal and glass tube/platform. Melodia and my stylist wave goodbye as the platform begins to lift me upwards.

As I reach the top, I can finally see the arena. It's a temperate rainforest, just as I thought. I should be able to survive in this condition for a few good days, then the mutts or another tribute will probably take me out.

A female voice begins to count down from 30, my stomach drops as I realize this is really happening and I wonder if I might pass out. That would be such a pathetic way to go, I think to myself.

"Five" the voice says.

I look at the other tributes around me.

"Four"

Most of them look terrified, except for the careers.

"Three."

I look at the cornucopia and the weapons and supplies inside and surrounding it.

"Two."

I can see a backpack that I'm assuming is full of supplies around the cornucopia, I'm debating wether or not to go for it.

"One."

My thoughts stop.

I hear a new voice this time, a mans voice. "Ladies and gentlemen, let the seventy-fourth hunger games begin!" It booms.

"And let the odds be ever in your favour."