seven

_

_

I jolt awake as the first rays of sun peek out from the trees. The air is cool and crisp and there is no sound other then the sound of a woodpecker tapping on wood in the distance.

I look down at my stomach as I hear it growl loudly, I should probably set a snare, or go and find some berries to eat. I untie the ropes wrapped around my legs, and make my way off the tree. My feet touch the ground silently, and I begin to walk off in search of food.

-🕸-

After around 20 minutes of walking around tru arena, I find a bush of raspberries. I gather as many of the berries as I can, dying my finger tips a light pink colour in the process. I pop one of he berries into my mouth and smile as the bitter yet sweet flavor spreads across my tongue. I eat the rest of them as I continue to walk through the dense forest. I can hear the sound of birds chirping somewhere far off in the distance, and a small breeze blowing through the leaves of the tree tops.

I'm really hoping I won't run into any other tributes, I'd would definitely be done for if that happened as I don't have any sort of weapon with me right now.

Then, my worst nightmare came true.

I hear footsteps, about four pairs of them. It's the careers. I can hear Glimmer's loud cackle-laugh after Cato tells her the punchline of a joke as she, as well as the other careers get closer and closer to the area I'm in.

I run towards the closest tree I can find and start to climb it's small branches. I clearly picked the wrong tree to hide in; it's branches are flimsy and probably can't even support my weight. Clove, Cato, Glimmer, and Marvel break through the clearing just as I get into the tree. I breath out a sigh of relief, maybe I'll be safe from them.

"Did you guys hear something or am I just stupid?" Marvel asks the other careers.

"I mean I hear something, but you're still stupid." Clove replies back.

"Wow, real creative Clove!" Glimmer says sarcastically, slow clapping while looking at Clove.

"Shut up." Clove says, giving Glimmer a small, playful shove.

Cato begins to look around the part of forest they're in, looking for the unknown sound that I'm assuming was me climbing up the tree. "I don't see anything here, maybe it was just a bird or something..." Cato said after scanning the area.

A branch snaps loudly, making my left foot slip off of it. The band of careers heads whip around to where the sound came from, landing right on me. I can tell my eyes hold pure terror in them, my hands start to sweat, and I go into panic mode. I scramble higher up into the tree, causing more branches to snap underneath me but I manage to stay safe.

"Hey look! It's foxface!" Clove said in a high pitched girlish voice, pointing right at me. The four of them begin to walk towards the tree I'm in.

"She's mine," Clove says, a grim smile on her face.

"Not if I get her first!" Cato rumbles. He looks down at Clove, "why don't you climb the tree?" He says.

Clove nods and walks up to the tree, placing her hands on the bottom branches of the tree. She hoists herself up and gets her foot on the first branch. Shit, she might actually get up to me. I think to myself, she's getting closer and closer by the second, much closer then I thought she would get.

"Get her Clove!"

"Kill her Clove!"

I jump down from the tree without thinking. What a stupid move.

"Get her!" Clove screeches.

I bolt off with Cato, Glimmer and Marvel in tow, leaving Clove stuck in the tree. I run as fast as I possibly can, darting in and out of the trees. Out of the corner of my eye I can see Marvel stop and fall behind. It's now me, Glimmer and Cato. I keep running, I can't stop. Not now. Even though Cato doesn't have a weapon with him, I know he could still kill me. Glimmer has a sword in hand, she could easily kill me.

Cato stops out of exhaustion and leaves Glimmer to keep chasing me. I run into an even denser part of the woods, out of Cato's sight.

I can hear Glimmer panting behind me, even I'm starting to tire out. My foot hits a tree root coming from the ground and I fall. I put my arms out in front of me so I don't hit the ground face-first. I flip around on my back to see Glimmer standing over me, sword in hand.

She looks me straight in the eyes and smirks. "I'm definitely done for now." I think. This is where it all ends, I guess my life was good enough. It wasn't that interesting, but good enough.

"Run." She says.

"What?" I ask her, a perplexed expression on my face.

"Get out of here!" She says, louder this time.

I quickly get to my feet, my eyes on Glimmer the whole time; just to be cautious.

"Quick! They'll be here any second!" Glimmer says frantically while looking behind her. This can't be real. Glimmer - probably the most murderous person in the arena - is saving my ass right now?

"Uh, thanks." I mumble to her, and with that disappear into the bushes.

I hear Cato's voice in the distance, "where'd she go?" He asked.

"I dunno, she kinda just disappeared!" I hear Glimmer's voice say faintly.