six

_

_

I jumped from from my platform and landed on the soft and grassy ground. I dashed to the backpack that I could see near the cornucopia, I was almost within reaching distance when my district partner- Clive, jumps out in front of me, reaching for the exact same bag I'm going for.

I push Clive out of the way as his hand reaches desperately for the backpack. He falls to the ground with a loud thud and I snatch the backpack from it's pedestal. As I begin to run off, he grabs my ankle and I fall to the ground. This is where I'll die; I'm sure of it. Clive claws at my leg in attempt to get back the backpack, but it kick him hard in the face with my boot. He pulls his hands from my leg and brings them to his face, clutching his nose in pain. I stand up in a hurry and begin to run towards the forest.

I look behind me as I hear metal cutting through the air with a swoosh and land I something hard and a scream. Clive is laying dead on the ground as dark crimson blood pools around him, Cato standing above him with his sword stuck in Clive's stomach. A cannon goes of in the distance, signalling he's really dead now.

I look at Clive's lifeless eyes in horror and run off as fast as I can into the forest and as far away from the cornucopia as I can.

-🕸-

I stand with my back against a tree as I try to catch my breath. By now I think I've outrun everyone and can finally sit down and see what's in the backpack that I had just risked my life for. I flip down on the mossy ground beneath the tree I've been leaning against and unzip the backpack.

I pull out a pack of dried meat, a small amount of cloth bandages, a rope  (which I have no idea what I'll have use for) and a water bottle. I open up the water bottle and look inside; it's empty. I know I should go find some water, so stand up with a sigh.

As I walk through the forest, I can feel my stomach begin to growl in hunger and pull out a slice of ur dried meat I had in my backpack. I snack on it as I continue to walk.

-🕸-

After what seems like hours of waking, I finally reach a small creek. Just the sight of clean running water brings a slight smile to my face. I dip my dirty hands into the freezing cold water and splash some on my face. I fill up the small water bottle after taking a long sip of water from the creek. I didn't even realize how thirsty I was until I found the water.

I can see the sun slowly setting behind the tallest trees and the landscape gets an almost golden glow to it. I should find somewhere safe to sleep - or even just to stay - for the night.

I decide a tree would be the best place to sleep and stay out of danger. I scan the forest for the perfect tree. I finally find one; it's tall, and looks like it's hard to climb. I hoist myself up the tree and sit myself on a branch that should support my weight, but is high up enough that someone shouldn't be able to spit me too easily.

I tie the rope around my legs and the tree so I won't fall off the branch during the night. The sky finally turns completely dark, and I can see the artificial stars sparkling in the sky. The anthem begins to play and the Capitol seal is projected in the sky, ill finally be able to see who and how many people are dead now. I was too distracted with running and finding water to count the cannons firing.

The face of the girl from district 3 appears in the sky, now I know that all the careers are still alive. I was hoping at least one of them would be dead, but I knew it wouldn't happen. The face of the boy from 4 appears in the sky. Clive's face shows up and I feel a pang of guilt in my stomach even though I knew it wasn't really my fault. The girl from 6, both tributes from 7, the boy from 8, both tributes from 9, and the girl from 10 are all dead. 10 are dead, all of them innocent children. All of them just a piece in the capitols sick little game.

After several hours of thinking through what had just happened, and how I should take the next day on. I finally pass out from exhaustion.