Chapter Eight - Piper | Snow with Thunder

Chapter Eight : Snow with Thunder

I walked to the infirmary that Rem pointed at earlier and entered the small cabin. Amara was lying asleep on a thick mattress that Cortland had taken from the broken bed. He had placed it on top of the flat mattresses that were already in the infirmary.

I paused at the entrance and took in the sight. Cortland was hunched over Amara, watching her attentively with his fingers around her wrist, cradling her hand. He was checking her heartbeat. But that wasn't what shocked me, it was the image of Diana whilst she sat at the head of the bed replacing the bandage that was wrapped around her head.

I swallowed a breath and cleared my throat. Diana looked up at the sound but Cortland didn't move his eyes from Amara. "How is she doing?" I asked.

Diana pressed her lips together and nodded. She'd probably said all of 4 sentences since getting here.

Cortland spoke with his eyes still trailing Amara's face. "She's got a concussion like I thought she would," his voice sounded hoarse, like he'd been screaming. "The cut on her leg stopped bleeding but I need to replace the bandages every few hours so that it doesn't get infected. I would need to stay here with her through the night.. possibly till she gets better."

He finally stared up at me and I knew he had made his mind up. I nodded briefly and then looked back at Diana. "Could I speak to you for a minute?" 

She looked down at Amara before nodding and heading towards the door. I walked outside the cabin and waited until she stood in front of me. The darkness was too deep to make out any of her features but I didn't need light. I had seen her on the beach. Her face didn't leave my mind since then.

I coughed and looked down at my hands, frowning. Where the fuck are your words, Pipe?

I shook my head slightly before looking back at her. Her head was tilted slightly and she looked at me with a shy curiosity. "I uhm.." I began, "what you did back there... with Cortland. Stepping in like that, it was... admirable"

I saw her cheeks flush and she parted her lips to say something but then shut them again. She smiled softly and looked back down, only to have her smile replaced with downturned lips. She seemed to scold herself for a lot.

"But the main reason I needed to speak with you was to ask if you minded sharing a bed?" I asked.

Her head shot up and suddenly, her tranquil energy turned into panic. "E-excuse me? Why would you ask, I mean, what made you-"

I was slightly disorganized from her reaction, my mind reeled and I thought that she hated the image of sharing a bed with me. That was why she was so defensive. Damn, Piper.

"I mean because there's only 4 twin sized beds in the girls bunker, so that means pairs." I interrupted suddenly, my words spilling so fast, she actually psychically staggered back. But then;

"Oh," her voice croaked through the silence and the trembling of her chin stopped. I winced at how my heart reacted to her voice.

She pushed a strand of golden hair behind her ear and my eyes tracked the movement. I figures she was the type of person that only used words when absolutely necessary. Blatantly quite the opposite of me, running my mouth any chance I got. Except somehow now.

I scratched the back of my neck and cringed when she went back to frowning down at her fingers. "Yeah, so..."

"Okay," she started nodding hurriedly. It was like she was psyching herself up. Damn, was I that bad to be around? "Okay" she repeated louder before looking up at my direction but regarding at anything but me. She did that. She would say something softly and as if she believed no one heard her except herself, she would repeat herself to the world.

"Alright." I exhaled a breath I didn't even know I was holding.

Vote

Vote

Fan

Comment

And

Follow

Lots of love,

Kitkat