Then and Always

Liho, the cat, couldn't have chosen the best time to finally appear. It was the day before Christmas and it was Steve who spotted it first. Steve was cleaning the fridge that morning, stashing out leftovers to make space for all the food Pepper and Laura will be bringing the next day. It has been a month and a half since they moved in and Pepper and Laura thought it would be nice that they all celebrate Steve and Bucky's first Christmas in the house together.

Steve was emptying containers of food at the sink when he glanced at the window and saw the cat perched on the back porch railing, peering back at him. It seemed relaxed but its yellow eyes were piercing that Steve had to take a moment to decide what to do next. As far as he knew, he wasn't really a cat person so he's a bit clueless how to approach the creature without spooking it away. He turned off the faucet and walked to the back door.

"Liho, right?" Steve greeted it with a smile.

Neither of them flinched. Steve decided it was best to let Liho dictate what happens next. So he simply stood there with a smile on his face, thinking how perfect it was for Natasha to get attached to a cat. She and cats shared the same independence and love for solitude. Natasha also couldn't care less for treats, rewards, praises; something cats don't seem to enjoy as much as dogs.

Bucky entered the kitchen.

"Alright, the Christmas socks are finally hung and the sheets in the guest bedroom are finally replaced for Wilson's benefit. Even though I don't know why I even bothered," Bucky said with a playful laugh. He stopped in his tracks at the sight of Steve frozen in place by the door.

"Hey, what's ---,"

"Shhhh," Steve shushed him up immediately without even bothering to look at him.

Bucky followed where Steve's gaze was fixed and his own eyes widened at the sight of Liho. He walked over to Steve and stood beside him as he, too stared at the cat. Its black fur wasn't shiny but nothing that can't be fixed with a good bath. What struck Bucky the most was its eyes. They were wide, golden, glassy, and hard to read. It reminded Bucky of Natasha. Natasha's Red Room training taught her to hide deep and beyond, even from herself, so that not even her green eyes would betray her true emotions. Breaking through her defenses was a feat and even when you successfully manage it, it wasn't because you're good, it was because she let you in. And now, Liho was giving him the same vibe. It wouldn't just let him and Steve housebreak it unless it wanted them to in the first place.

"It means bad luck, you know," Bucky bluntly said.

Steve looked at Bucky questioningly. Bucky continues, "In Russian, Liho means bad luck."

They both stared at the cat which now had stretched and lain on top of the railing but still warily looking at them. Steve then shook his head and said, "Well, not in this house."

Bucky grinned at his friend. Then he opened the back door and stepped outside. Steve immediately looked back at the cat and was relieved to see that it didn't move but its gaze was now fixed at his best friend. Bucky started taking small, cautious steps towards the cat, his flesh arm slightly stretched in front of him. Then with just a couple of feet away from it, he stopped and waited. Liho stretched its neck and its forehead made contact with Bucky's flesh hand. After a few seconds, Bucky finally felt confident enough to scratch Liho's head. He smiled when it happily responded to his touch. Then he picked Liho up and cradled it in his arms. It purred, yawned, and snuggled right there against his chest for a nap.

"Better tell them to bring cat food, too," Bucky said. Steve chuckled and held the door for Bucky and Liho.

***************

Sam arrived that afternoon, with three large pizzas and two dozen beers. He was hoping the three of them could bond first before the chaos of Christmas and of children the next day. He loved Morgan and the Barton kids but he wouldn't miss the chance of having a one chill night, beer in hand, with his best friends.