Chapter 9

The group made their way to the hangar the Spectrals had arrived in. Their heads hung from their failure to stop the ship. They navigated the dark hallways, following the intimidating soldiers Shadow commanded. Each nook and cranny the large Legionnaires cleared, Zero couldn't believe he would end up fighting on the same side as them. He could vividly remember seeing their effectiveness first hand on numerous occasions, massacring Types.

"What the heck?"

Everyone froze as Jax peaked out from behind a doorway,

"I thought Shadow was the enemy!" He looked at Nano, who resembled a deer caught in headlights. Zero and Mag looked shocked, only moments ago they believed Jax was dead. Shadow turned around to see what was happening, what she saw was the now alive Jax rushing towards Nano.

"you lying piece of...." Jax fell to the floor mid step and began convulsing on the ground. Zero saw Nano holding out his wrist tablet and understood what was happening.

"Don't move or I'll kill him!" threatened Nano.

"How could you do this? We're a team!" Mag pushed forward to stare Nano down.

"This is what's best for Earth! Under Tera's rule we will all be safe." Nano nervously started backing up.

"Tera's rule? Tera put you up to this?" Shadow was confused, she didn't think Tera would be behind this.

"Now I'll free Jax, but only if you let me live." He continued.

Mag slowly approached him, with her hands down and palms open, to show she wasn't going to hurt him.

"Nano, we're not going to kill you, well at least me and Zero won't. We go so far back, you're still family to us even if you're with whoever Tera is. Now release Jax and I'll keep him from killing you."

Nano visibly calmed down, and stopped backing away.

"We don't have time for this." Shadow went to order her Legionnaires, but Mag raised a hand to tell her to wait. Before any more negotiations could be had, the darkness behind Nano began to illuminate with a white light that grew in intensity. Axel emerged from around the corner with his sword already deployed and pulsing with white energy.

"Uh... Axel... I got this." Nano tried to hold out a hand to keep him from advancing.

"Really? Because to me it looks like you don't." Axel rebutted. He threw Nano out of his way and faced Mag and Zero.

"Bring Reaper to me!" His calm demeanor was completely removed as he screamed at them.

"He won't come, he doesn't care about any of this!" Zero yelled back at him, he was ready to take Axel down again.

"He'll come when your dead!" Axel ran at them. Mag looked at Jax, who was still paralyzed on the ground. She held out her hand and ripped his metal prosthetic off, then dove into the office. She landed on her shoulder with the bullet wound and screamed in pain. Axel swung at Zero, but Zero cleverly went invisible. Shadow looked back at her Legionnaires who's guns were all at the ready, however they would not fire unless Shadow gave the order. Even if it meant their own demise. The loyalty of Shadow's Legionnaires was unmatched.

"Get the Spectrals to their ship!" Shadow commanded her squad, who instantly rushed to escort The Spectrals out. She ran at Axel, dodged his first swing, and tackled him while he was recovering. Mag used gravity to grab Nano and pulled him towards a Legionnaire who physically restrained him. Jax picked up his metal hand while Zero re appeared by Mag. The soldiers proceeded to lead The Spectrals down the corridor, leaving Axel and Shadow.

*****

Axel threw Shadow off of him and stood up.

"Wait until Tera finds out you're here, she'll kill you." Axel hissed. Shadow backed into the office and Axel followed, his sword now back in his hand.