Love at First Night

The lights were switched on and Susans eyes deemed at the intense brightness of the rays. Her hands were tied behind and her mouth taped. She was looking rather weak and shabby. Beside her sat a young man slightly older. His lips were free but his hands were tied at the front to his legs. He appeared calm and seemingly unperturbed bound to chains. Two heavy built men walked in and rain slaps on the young mans face leaving red bruises and a bleeding mouth. you think you are wise, you fool. One of the men says sternly. you wont like what will become of you when we are through with you. They said. The young man spat at their face and gave a grin. In response one of them grabs Susan by the hair and points a gun to her head threatening to kill her. Susans heart rose making humming sounds to plead with them. We will shoot your girlfriend, should you pull off any stunt again. They said. The young man for the first time spoke in reply. please let her be. He begged. Don't kill her; I will give you anything you want'. They let go of Susans hair and pounced on the young man beating him to stupor. We want your blood. They said. And that of your girl friend. Howbeit did Susan get into such a precarious situation?

It is common sayings that once bitten, twice shy but what happens when one is bitten twice, what happens when a glimmer of hope suddenly goes begging. Susans mother was left devastated as much as Susan, having learnt the truth about Susans pregnancy which was more shocking than her best friend running away with her husband. Uyi was as nice as anyone could be and never fluttered nor showed any wicked intent towards Susan or anyone else. In the early hours of the day she sat brooding over her situation as Susan got ready to resume work after being given two months off to help the police investigate the case. Uyi was on the run and his friends were gone too living an empty apartment and abandoning their studies. The only thing left behind was the seed that grew inside of Susan, an indelible mark and a constant reminder of the dangers of trust.
It was a beautiful day and Susan haven started to get past her ordeal and went to work barely a month gone with her pregnancy. She needed to support her family. After the days work, Gabby and Susan had agreed to go to the club for a chance at Susan singing at the club to earn more money and get on track towards achieving her dream. Susans mother now succumbed to Gabby's friendship wanting Susan to keep female companions. It wasn't exactly an easy decision but she believed there was safety in Gabby's friendship since she was a girl.
Susan sat through Gabby's shift in the afternoon so they could go to the club. By 6.00 pm, both girls arrived at the club and Susan was introduced to a short bald man said to operate the club. Lovely girl. He says to Gabby in response. you say she is your friend?.
yes sir, she is. Gabby replies. The mans eyes rested on Susan, trying to x-ray her cloths to get a picture of the petite beauty. I believe in you already. He says to Susan with a smile. Susan looked beguiled not knowing the best response to give.
After an amazing performance, Susan made for the ladies room to calm her tensed nerves. She surprised herself haven sang quite well. Gabrielle rushes into the room excited interrupting Susans moment in oblivion. you have to come with me now. Says Gabrielle as she dragged Susan along the corridor. They came to a man sitting at a table sipping gently a glass of whisky obviously in wait for someone. Here she is. Said Gabrielle. Hello Susan, I am Femi. The tall slim man says to Susan. yes he is, a business mogul and a regular here. He loved your voice and intends to know you in details. He is very single. Gabrielle said loudly. She couldn't help the deluge of joy she had springing in her stomach. now we have been introduced, do you care to join me for a nice evening. Said the young man. The taught of her experience with nice looking men came flashing through Susans memory. She was almost carried away by his charming looks and Gabrielle flirtatious attempt in pimping her out to a complete stranger. I have to be home before 8.00 pm, my mother warned me. Susan says abruptly. It was the only escape plan she panned out which was remotely vague. silly girl, your mom believes you are at work. Gabrielle says giving Femi whose face was becoming sore a glimmer of hope to smile knowing he was going to win. at least allow me drop you off. He says. Susan agreed to Gabrielle delight, she hugged her friend as she bade her good night. She was using the bus because she couldn't afford to ruin the moment she had been paid to create. Gabrielle looks into her big leather bag for an envelope filled with cash. She was a pimp and had just gotten her pay for the evening. She used the karaoke as a disguise to get friends like Susan pimped out. Susan who listened to Femi's enchanting words through the ride home managed to give a detail account of her experience. He had promised to create a better life for her should she consent to him. I am not that kind of girl. Susan said repeatedly sounding her lack of interest in what he was offering. no one says you are, think of what you might benefit if you let me take care of you. I want to be your friend and lover, someone you can lean on forever. Says Femi. You don't have to perform at the club; I can make your dreams come true. Believe me when I say this ten minutes with you is the best of my life. My heart melts for you knowing you went through such ordeal. I want to protect you. His words sank through Susan who now succumbed to his persuasion. He dropped her off at her junction allowing Susan to reflect on all he said while she walked home. This was the first glimpse of a path towards her dream of becoming a star and it was not without a price. If he cares a whole lot about my dreams, he is worth giving a chance. She thought out loud sitting on her bed. She had told her mother she had to stay the night shift along side Gabrielle for extra pay. Thrilled by the tale, she allowed Susan, free passage to her room.