Two - Christmas Party

On the first weekend of December, my parents always make us attend some crappy Christmas party down by the lake. The only perk of getting to go was the unnecessary amount of free gingerbread men to eat.

Everything else about having to attend this party sucked. Not only was it all outside, with the temperature being cold as fuck, everyone from school would turn up and get pretty drunk - meaning my parents would give me some lecture once I got home about being responsible when drinking and to choose better friends than the ones I have.

I had been standing by the food table for the past ten minutes, getting hardcore judged by everyone who would come along to grab a drink every now and then. All the other girls from school were too busy getting with guys behind the trees and I really wasn't in the mood for that tonight. All I really wanted was to eat and absorb the Christmas atmosphere. 

I pull up the zip to my coat, now that it was getting later and darker and the wind was become swiftly harsher. I also pull out my Santa mittens from my coat pocket and slide them onto my hands, deciding to pull myself away from the food table and find someone to socialize with. 

I spot Michael Clifford by the lake with a few other guys, all of them messing about with each other. Michael and I had known each other for years, since we had grown up down the same street, but we hardly spoke since he moved to a boarding school in London last year for music.

I stroll over to Michael and his usual group of friends he's with. Michael gives me a grin as I walk over to him, wrapping his arms around me as I approach.

"Hey, Ruby," Michael smiles. pulling away from the hug. "It's been forever. Like, how are you?"

I nod, returning a smile back to Michael. "I'm pretty good," I say. "I didn't think you were coming back until next weekend."

"I told the headteacher my dad's, cousin's, best friend's, friend died." Michael smirks, looking pretty pleased with himself. "He totally bought it."

"Wait, Andy died?" Calum Hood questions, looking over to Michael. Michael and Calum had been best friends forever too, along with Ashton. The three of them have been inseparable ever since kindergarden. The four of us seemed to always get along great, up until Calum and I dated a couple of years ago, broke up and now there's always awkwardness between us.

"No, you idiot," Ashton snaps, flicking Calum on the ear. "Michael just wanted to come home because he missed his mommy and daddy."

Michael crosses his arms over his chest and pouts. "Shut up, I'm punk rock."

"No you fucking aren't, Michael," A tall blond boy emerges over to the group, carrying a red cup of something and stands beside Ashton.

When the boy looks up, he looks way too familiar. I realize the moment I spot the black lip ring that this guy was the idiot I had argued with back at the mall a couple of days ago. I can't help but enjoy how attractive this Luke guy is when he's not wearing yellow tights and pointy ears. 

"Hey, you're that elf dude from the mall," I point out, pointing my finger (through my mitten) at the boy dressed in all black in front of me.

The boy rolls his eyes at the mention of his job and the others all begin to chuckle and make fun. Clearly, he had a lot of stick from guys when it came to working as an elf at a mall - but he looked way too cool to be doing a job like that. Not only does he hate Christmas, but he's gorgeous. Surely, he's in the wrong job.

"You two know each other?" Michael turns to me, after his fit of laughter as the boys teased Luke.

I shrug. "Kind of," I say, "he made my sister cry when he told her Santa's not bringing her Niall Horan."