Six - Winter Wonderland

Luke and I both free, glaring at each other. This isn't going to end well. I put down the bowl slowly, before turning around to see a large guy stood in the door frame. From the look of disgust on Luke's face, I can tell it's this Darren guy. 

Darren is seemingly taller than Luke, although a lot more round and muscular. In fact, the site of him is pretty scary and intimidating. He walks closer to where Luke and I are standing nervously, well at least I am anyway. Luke grabs an apple from the bowl on the counter and bites into it, watching Darren intently browse the kitchen. 

"Luke, you never told your Mom and I that you had a friend coming over," Darren speaks calmly and softly, as if he means no harm at all.

Luke groans. "Why would I tell you about anything I do?" Luke challenges and Darren sighs. 

"I had a phone call from your Mom earlier," Darren says, walking to the breakfast bar where Luke is sat and grabbing a banana out of the bowl. Okay, I'll just chill silently here then. "She was pretty upset."

"I told her nothing she doesn't already know," Luke mumbles, taking another bite from his fruit. God, even eating an apple he's gorgeous. "Look, we'll clean up in a minute, just get out."

"I could help you tidy up, if you'd like?" Darren offers and smiles to me. I smile back, curious by this man. For some reason Luke's deathly description of his dreaded step dad, were not quite matching to his sweet offer to help us out. This only seems to throw me more off guard, finding myself wondering if Luke had lied to me. Although, I still try to remember this is none of my business and not to say another word about it.

Luke and I speak almost every day that we don't see each other, and for a change about other things apart from Christmas. My Mom keeps asking why I walk around looking at my phone screen with a dorky grin on my face (which I want to slap off of my own face), but I don't mention to her about Luke. She'll give me that dumb lecture on how boys only want one thing, especially hot ones like Luke. Honestly, after how nerdy I've seen that Luke is - I'd like to think he's not like that, plus he sends me snapchats of his cat - not his penis - so we're all good.

After school, I head down to the mall for Christmas shopping. More like to see Luke, my subconscious hisses at me. Besides, I had nothing better to do. Tonight the Clifford's are coming over for dinner, which just feels awkward the whole time we're sat around the table. Michael and I's parents constantly blab on about us totally needing to date and Michael's parents always go on about Michael getting accepted into some fancy music school in London.

I find my way to where Santa's grotto is and where I should find Luke, wearing his tights and usual nerdy outfit. I eventually spot him, it's not hard since he's stood with a young little girl crying, whilst her Mom yells at Luke.

"I will be putting in a complaint about you, young man," The Mother snaps at Luke and Luke just rolls his eyes.

"Listen, lady," Luke sighs, "I put in a complaint about myself every single day, but shockingly they can't find a replacement twat to stand wearing pointy shoes and yellow tights."

I almost want to chuckle at Luke's comment, but refrain a grin as I stand back and continue to watch - unsure of how this even started. If this isn't proof that this guy is bad news, what is? My brain yells at me, although I tell it to shut up. Luke just has a lot going on, all he needs is a little enlightening. Do I really want to volunteer to be this damaged guy's preacher? 

The lady scowls at Luke, hugging her daughter closer to her. "Let's just drop it now. All Cindy wants is to meet Santa and we can leave."

"That bad elf said I'm on the naughty list, Mommy," The little girl cries to her Mom and Luke deeply sighs, with a loud huff.