Eight - Tree Farm

How do I get down these stairs without my mom noticing me? I pause at the top of the staircase and observe the distance between the bottom of the stairs and the door. I hadn't spoken to my parents since Luke left last night and I don't really want to - it would just be awkward and I don't really have anything to say. They'll give me some lecture about  not even knowing this boy and wasting my time, when I could be focusing on more important things like school.

 I rush down the stairs, in hope to not be caught - although, my plans never seem to ever go to plan. "Ruby, is that you?"

Shit. I stop at the bottom of the stairs and wince as I hear my mom's footsteps come dashing to where I'm stood. I'm not in the mood to have the lecture about hanging out with Luke after everything Michael's mom would have told her about his family. My parents have always been protective over me, but it's getting ridiculous if they seriously think they can hold me hostage here forever. 

"Where are you going this time in the morning, Ruby?" Mom asks, dusting off flour from her apron. My sister, Alex, comes dashing into the hall too and I greet her with a smile before returning my glare back to mom.

"I have plans," I say briefly with a shrug.

"Is it that good looking boy again?" Mom queries and I blush. 

"Maybe," I shrug. Jeez, could this get much more awkward?

My mom lets out a deep sigh leans against the banister at the bottom of the stairs. "I'm not sure if I want you getting involved in this boy's problems - he seems to have a lot on his mind."

"I'm not," I convince - although perhaps I am. "I promise."

"You hardly know him, Ruby-"

Alex interrupts, "I love Mr Elf. He told me I can meet Rudolph this year."

My mom gives me a glare and I know exactly what she's implying she wants to say. Now how the hell to I tell Alex that Rudolph won't be at our door anytime soon?!

After a little more of an awkward silence and helping my mom explain to Alex that Rudolph is a little sick so he might not be able to stop by in a couple of weeks, I finally head round to Luke's house. I'm thankful to see that only Luke's car is in the drive and I won't be having to face anymore awkward encounters with his family members. I decide that I should take my mom's advice and not get involved in his family business - but that doesn't mean I don't want to be involved with him.

Luke swings the door open. I gape at him standing in front of me, wearing baggy grey sweatpants hanging low on his hips and with no shirt on. Shit. He's not wearing underwear. My eyes can't seem to take gaze off his bare torso - scanning to the waistline of his sweatpants.

"Are you going to come inside or would you rather just admire the view?"

Shit. He's noticed. I quickly look up to his smirking face and my cheeks begin to heat up. "Actually, we're going out."

Luke raises an eyebrow and frowns. "We are? I thought you'd choose the second option - in fact, both of above and we could have some fun..."

Holy fuck. My heart begins racing as the words leave his pink lips and suddenly I want to jump to taking him up on his offer. I keep my cool on the outside, somehow with my heart have a spasm on the inside and shake my head. "Nice try. Seriously, though, I have something really cool for us to do."

Luke sighs - not seeming half as enthusiastic as I had hoped. I hope that once we get there he will grow a little warmer towards the idea, however parts of me fear that he might insist we drive straight back home. "I'll go get dressed. Do you want to come in and wait?"