Four - Sitting by the Fire

When I wake, I have a text from Luke asking what time I would be over later. I throw my phone back across my bed, too tired and cold to function right now. I couldn't really be bothered to think about spending my day around people, I'd much rather stay in bed, drinking hot chocolate and watching Christmas movies to go with the dark, gloomy mood behind the curtains.

I eventually get out of bed, get dressed and follow the address Luke had sent me to his house down a road which I recognized since my aunt lives somewhere near there. I actually felt quite nervous about seeing Luke again for some reason, there's something about him that makes me feel so lured into his choices of opinions and what he's really about. I also feel quite anticipated to see the kind of house he lives in - whether it's small or large, whether he has any pets or siblings. 

I pull up by the large house matching the address, turn off the heating in my car and step out into the cold air. No other cars seemed to be outside the house, which made me feel nervous about being alone with Luke until the others turned up. I've only known this guy a couple of minutes, what if he really is some sort of murderer? I tug at my coat to wrap tighter around me as I approach the door, my heart pounding as I knock and wait for an answer. The tall blond boy soon answers, wearing a grey knitted swear and black jogging bottoms - looking cozy and warm.

"It's freezing," Luke observes, pulling his sleeves over his hands and opening the door wider. "Come in."

I nod as I step inside into the warmth of his home, feeling nosy as I browse around the hallway. His house is one of those big ones that you drive passed and wish you could have one. The entrance is decorated with paintings and expensive looking china vases. Everything seems so white that it's almost blinding, even the white carpet is spotless.

Luke guides me through into the living room, making himself comfortable as he throws himself onto the white leather couch. There's a white rug in the middle of the wooden floorboard, along with a 50 inch plasma on the wall in front of the L shaped couch. The living room alone seemed to be larger than my family's house entire downstairs. 

A small white, fluffy cat comes into the room, matching with the rest of the design on the living room. "That's Snowy," Luke says, nodding towards the cat.

I chuckle at the name, beginning to shrug my jacket off and hanging it over my arm as I stand watching the cat. "Inventive name."

"She's my mom's," Luke shrugs, pursing his lips together in a thin line. "I'm pretty sure she only got her for decoration. Sometimes she lays in the middle of the rug and I tread on her by accident."

I grin at his comment. "I bet your mom loves you for that."

Luke frowns, biting on his lip. "She wouldn't know. She's never here." Luke stands up and walks over to me, shuffling along the slippery floor with his socks as he takes my coat out of my arms and throws in on the first step of the spiral staircase. He comes walking back into the living room, shutting the glass door behind him and gestures for me to have a seat. I sit beside him silently.

I could feel my heart tracing just from being in his presence, not knowing what it is about him that constantly makes me feel so trapped under everything he does. "How comes your Mom is never here? Does she work a lot?"

I ask, feeling my curiosity getting the best of me. Luke leans back a little, his face giving away no form of emotion - always making it impossible for me to read his thoughts. "Usually she's working and if she's not on business trips, she's going on holiday with Darren - her boyfriend."

Luke scolds in disgust, rolling his eyes at the mention of his Mom's boyfriend. I decide not to press any further on Luke's personal life, since I didn't feel we're at the point enough for me to be getting myself involved in genuine troubles for Luke - although, I can't help but wonder if that's why he hates Christmas. Perhaps something to do with his parents.